D

densbird

Supporting Contributor
Last seen
Hello,

I have a 2002 Bird with 16k milage. Live on Long Island and took the bird to
work today.

This is the first day the air temperature dropped down in the 30's. Stopped for
gas this AM and noticed that the car was running a little strange. It would idle around 900 RPM and drop down to 600 RPM with a slight shake. Tried to
rev the engine and notice that it would not go over 3,500 rpm. Don't know if
it was always like this since I never had any problem at all. I'm hoping the rough idle is due to climate change or bad gas and that someone out there will tell me there is a limiter on the revs of the engine (Think I remember reading a thread about this couple of years ago)

Thanks for any help.

Densbird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, there is a rev limiter for nuetral and also reverse gear.

Den check the TSB thread

Den: I know that this is an old thread and I hope your still out there, but here's some new info I picked up on "rough idle" this morning - it came from a guy in CA:

"Rough idle and low speed knocks, I yahooed for "ford codes p0171 p0174" and got a bunch of issues from many fords. Very common was "a vaccuum leak". and sure enough that was my problem. Valve cover breather hose was leaking.
It is now fixed, problem solved."

Hello,

I have a 2002 Bird with 16k milage. Live on Long Island and took the bird to
work today.

This is the first day the air temperature dropped down in the 30's. Stopped for
gas this AM and noticed that the car was running a little strange. It would idle around 900 RPM and drop down to 600 RPM with a slight shake. Tried to
rev the engine and notice that it would not go over 3,500 rpm. Don't know if
it was always like this since I never had any problem at all. I'm hoping the rough idle is due to climate change or bad gas and that someone out there will tell me there is a limiter on the revs of the engine (Think I remember reading a thread about this couple of years ago)

Thanks for any help.

Densbird

Have a 2003 and mine also would not idle above 2500 or so; I changed out the EGR vacuum lines and now it runs like a new car: those lines of yours are almost 20 years so new lines are a possible inexpensive fix. Good luck!

My 2003 would not idle above 2500 or so and after warming up and driving it was note as responsive, so I changed out the vacuum lines coming off the EGR valve and it now runs like new, definitely an inexpensive possible solution, and the your vacuum lines are 20 years old or so, brittle, etc. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back