Electrical problem - help needed - T-Bird 2002

carlimann
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Here in Germany the 2002 T-Bird is a rare car and no mecanic is able to work on it. So I have to try myself! What occured: I took the battery out to preserve it over the winter. After reinstalling it, I opened the driver side door, both windows went down without me having touched any switch. Then they stayed down and did not move, what ever I tried to do. Finally I removed the doorpanels and raised the windows mecanically. Now the rear lights turned on and did‘nt go out again. The windshield wipers, the headlights and the air conditioning did no longer work. I guess a few other electrical helpers quit their job too; I did´nt check everything. The engine ran pretty rough in lower revolutions too.
A firend of mine managed to get most of of the electrical equipment to work again. But the windows moved down when opening the door and stay in this position.
Has anybody gor an idea, what I can do next?
Thanks for your help!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Here in Germany the 2002 T-Bird is a rare car and no mecanic is able to work on it. So I have to try myself! What occured: I took the battery out to preserve it over the winter. After reinstalling it, I opened the driver side door, both windows went down without me having touched any switch. Then they stayed down and did not move, what ever I tried to do. Finally I removed the doorpanels and raised the windows mecanically. Now the rear lights turned on and did‘nt go out again. The windshield wipers, the headlights and the air conditioning did no longer work. I guess a few other electrical helpers quit their job too; I did´nt check everything. The engine ran pretty rough in lower revolutions too.
A firend of mine managed to get most of of the electrical equipment to work again. But the windows moved down when opening the door and stay in this position.
Thanks for your help!
  1. Put key in ignition. You can start the car or just turn the key far enough to engage the power windows.
  2. Ensure windows are fully closed.
  3. Roll down the window and hold for five seconds. ...
  4. Immediately roll up the window and hold for five seconds. ...
  5. Release the window button.
  6. Test the automatic window function.
I think this is the procedure

Did you try a computer reset?

Disconnect the battery cables for 20 minutes and touch the 2 cable ends together for 5 seconds. Now, re-connect the cables and start and drive car immediately for 20 minutes. Don't worry about windows going up or warning lights---just drive for 20 minutes, turn the car off. Wait 1 minute and restart---try and wind up back home at the 20 minute mark.

It's worth a try!

Cant EVER take battery out or let it die. The car has to re-learn how to shift, and has lots of calibrations based on there always being juice. Use a trickle charger in storage. Window procedure should work as outlined above.

I do hope that when and if Ford ever comes out with a new T-Bird that they have learned from all the crummy decisions they made building this beautiful car, It's a shame its fraught with so many stupid issues. But I still love it. :)

Thanks for your help!

You can disconnect the battery, however care must be made that the battery itself doesn't degrade over time. So if you are just letting the car sit for the winter, using a battery trickle device is better than disconnecting it. What I would do is recharge the battery up to 100%. This can be done while it is connected. Go to an auto parts store and buy yourself a decent battery charger that can also trickle-feed. (its a very low mount of power supplied to the battery so it doesnt die overnight as some later cars do.) Some people have what is known as a parasitic drain causing the battery to die overnight. This is common on a lot of modern cars because the compuetr must always have a small amount of energy supplied to it. So cars are never really off, just asleep. Instead of trying to find the drain, they just put their car on a trickle charger. Its treating the symptom, not the cause, but it works. Now, about your windows. This can happen and in the owners manual are instructions on how to re-calibrate the windows. I will attach the snapshot of the page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.21.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.21.26 PM.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for your help!

Also, if there are any Jaguar mechanics near you, they should be able to help. These TBirds are cousins of the Lincoln LS and Jaguar.

As new owner of an 02 retroBird I find this info very helpful. I’ll know what symptoms to be watching. Considering getting a backup FEM. POSTS can be frightening at first but now I am forewarned. Thank you for the education.

Back