E Code - do I need a new transmission?

Another fine example of Ford service ineptitude.
Or, they were trying to sell an entire tranny so the service advisor gets more money! How can you trust those service advisors when they make a commission? Terrible system and they are overpaid typically with no formal education.

My new for two weeks 2003 has an e code and a bad tyranny. Help me, as the dealer said I bought as is. What is the repair on this

I would work to find another opinion from a mechanic who could present alternatives or agrees to the same analysis as the dealer.

Or, they were trying to sell an entire tranny so the service advisor gets more money! How can you trust those service advisors when they make a commission? Terrible system and they are overpaid typically with no formal education.
The Service Advisor sells you what the technician tells him/her the vehicle needs. Technicians, as a rule, prefer to repair assemblies rather than replace them, because they get more hours for the job. R&R is generally less labour intensive, especially on a transmission, because it has to come out anyway for most repairs.

As far as Service Advisors being overpaid, I’ve never met a rich one. Typically earning $50-60k per year up here in Canada, if they are good. Trust has nothing to do with pay plans. If it did, you couldn’t trust anybody that is paid on commission, and that is the vast majority of anyone in sales.

The Service Advisor sells you what the technician tells him/her the vehicle needs.
I know how it works, I worked at the dealership years ago, and my fiance worked in the service department at the Ford dealership in recent years. They had a service advisor that was 19. Since when does a 19-year-old with just a high school education deserve to get paid 60 grand? It's a nonskilled labor job and the reason they make 60 grand is what I just described!

In this case, a quick google search brings up the part that they claim isn't available, but conveniently can do the alternative, an entire transmission.

I guess so! This Ford Dealer has been unresponsive and generally unhelpful. Would you recommend that I go to another dealer or find an independent repair shop?

I would try to find an independent repair shop with a good reputation and one that knows transmissions. The dealers do not want to fix things, they just want to replace the entire assembly.

I think many on the forum believe that you are generally better off with a Lincoln dealer over Ford - if you are going to go the dealer route. I agree your best bet is to go with an independent shop that has a good reputation,. (I have a great one in Maryland.) You might give out your general location and others on the forum may have recommendations for you.

A bit off topic, but yeah the service advisors can't be completely trusted, my '02 bird had an Evaporator Discharge Air Temp Sensor that went bad (it was FREEZING inside the car) and the dealer told me it was a $1,500 repair requiring a complete dash pull. Checking on this web site showed it was a $29 part easily installed at the driver's side of the center console stack. Literally a "push and twist and plug in the electrical connector" 5 minute job.

A bit off topic, but yeah the service advisors can't be completely trusted, my '02 bird had an Evaporator Discharge Air Temp Sensor that went bad (it was FREEZING inside the car) and the dealer told me it was a $1,500 repair requiring a complete dash pull. Checking on this web site showed it was a $29 part easily installed at the driver's side of the center console stack. Literally a "push and twist and plug in the electrical connector" 5 minute job.
@Icewine has not been back since my service advisor rebuttal. I think the way dealerships pay the service advisors like car salesman is inherently a conflict of interest & not customer friendly. Obviously it varies depending on the individual & dealership, but my experience has been that it's a real problem. Another big problem is a man from Florida named Terry Taylor owns numerous car dealerships, some of which operate under different names. We have two differently named dealerships in Knoxville, TN who were once competitors but now Taylor ownes them both. Obviously this reduces competition & allows for the higher fees.

We went for a trip in our 2002 Bird this weekend about 350 miles round trip. Three times an E came up where the D5 should be, Car ran fine got good millage. I have 103000 miles on it but it runs great what does this E mean. Thanks for any help GBSB
I'm having the same problem with my 2005 TBird. I have only 77,000 miles and now the E error message popped up. Can I take it to AAMCO for work on the problem or should I use the Ford Dealership? The Dealer wants to replace the whole Trans. Do I really need to replace or just repair.?

I'm having the same problem with my 2005 TBird. I have only 77,000 miles and now the E error message popped up. Can I take it to AAMCO for work on the problem or should I use the Ford Dealership? The Dealer wants to replace the whole Trans. Do I really need to replace or just repair.?
I go to the dealership as a very last resort. I had a problem with my Mustang recently and had AAMCO fix it. However, you need to look at Google reviews because each location can vary.

Back