E instead of D5

Status
Not open for further replies.
gbsb

gbsb

Torch Red '02
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We went for a trip in our 2002 Bird this weekend about 350 miles round trip. Three times an E came up where the D5 should be, Car ran fine got good millage. I have 103000 miles on it but it runs great what does this E mean. Thanks for any help GBSB

GBSB, this was common back a few years ago. I went back and did some searching, since you are way out of warranty and listed below is some data I requested from a friend.
1st response is: "Sorry to welcome you to our exclusive "dreaded E" club. The problem most had, was that the torque converter was not locking up due to a problem in the valve body of the transmission.
If you have the same problem as others did the steady "E" will go away when you restart the car (note: Ford says do not drive the car if the "E" is flashing as this indicates an imminent serious problem) if you drive around under 30 mph the "E" won't come on.
When service tech plugs in the laptop diagnosis computer it will say "torque converter lockup failure".
Most people had the valve body replaced, but my dealer fixed the original valve body (His explanation--a piston moves back and forth to engage the torque converter--due to some metal shavings debris left over from the manufacturing process the piston gets hung up--clean it out and it works like new). I have put on 6000 trouble free miles since the fix.
Please remember that all of this is just "nice to know" information for you. Don't go to the dealer demanding that they replace the valve body. Let them diagnose the problem and fix it in their own way. (My dealer’s first try was to reprogram the transmission computer which didn't work and then he continued on to fix the valve body)"
Yet another:
"Steady "E" is drivable.- Flashing "E" have it towed.
If it is the same valve body problem that most of us have had, after you shutdown the car the display will reset to normal (ie: D5 etc.). You should then be able to drive under 40 mph without the "E" coming back on.
Drive for a while under 40, then drive faster. If the "E" comes on at the higher speed it is the torque converter not locking up which is caused by a sticky rod in the valve body.
Most people have had the Valve body replaced to correct this problem, but my service department just fixed it for me in less than half a day.
If they tell you that the main computer or the dash display unit needs to be replaced, that "fix" take a long time and don't usually solve the problem (ie: they replace the display unit, then you get the "E" back , then they tell you that the valve body now needs replacement--when if they worked on the valve body first it would have solved the problem)."

More info: "TSB 504000-16893, These numbers are the only identifiers that I can find. It is titled "DRIVELINE OTHER AUTO TRANS CONCERNS"
2003 Lincoln LS and Thunderbird built between 11/06/02 and 03/13/03 Illuminated TCIL and DTC P1744 Only (TCC slippage Detected) May exhibit an "E" or an error message with DTC P1744 only
Serial number refers to Transmission serial number, not VIN. Only 5R55S Transmissions built between 11/06/2002 and 02/13/2003 are affected.
Solution is to replace Main Control Valve Body Assembly
This text was printed from Fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com site using my VIN as the codes.
Text is a very, very poor quality FAX.There is a reference to a TSB numbered 03-15-08 that reads as follows:
2003 Thunderbirds, LS, Transmission 5R55S - Harsh Shifts _ Vehicles built between 11/18-2002 and 5/17/2003 only. Nothing else is shown on this TSB. There must be a full detail TSB available to the Ford Techs."

More info from another owner: "Got the Bird back today after 5 days in shop. They replaced the "valve body per SSM-refilled and road tested." "E" didn't pop up on drive home so maybe they got it the first try. Svc Rep. indicated this is the first Bird that they've seen with problem"

Another:"This is what the the service invoice said: "OH valve body found converter clutch modulator control valve stuck in sleeve, repaired valve, reassembled, cleared code and reprogramed PCM, road tested OK."
"One week now and the "E" has not come on. Service manager has been very nice and has called me twice to ask if everything was OK. They really seemed concerned that I was happy and are very concerned about the survey on the service that will be mailed to me - 18 days and the "E" hasn't come on.

Notice that my fix was a repair of the Valve body, not a replacement. I will be very happy if this is the final fix 'cause they only needed it for 1/2 a day.
NOTE::: when you have your car in gear, look at the lower instrument panel on the dash in front of you. Normally, it would tell you which gear you are in but if it has an "E" there instead of the D1, D2, D3, D4 or R, then you have the E problem.
Steady "E"---OK to drive. Flashing "E"---have it towed.
The "E" error code that most of us had happened early on and was due to the transmission not going into overdrive. A fix or replacement of the valve body cured the problem."

Finally another "Dealer replaced a valve and reflashed the trans. Didn't notice much difference (except no more "E") in the short ride home from the dealership."

I hope some of what I copied here is of some help to you.:cool:
---

Thanks for the info. Will take to the dealer next week and give them the tsb numbers and see what happens thanks agin. The transmittion has been acting up. When shifted to 1st gear goes into like a park will not go just sets and the motor will rev up. also occasionally when starting will acts like it slipps for just a second then goes back in gear and jerks real hard. GBSB

Thanks for the info. Took the Bird to a transmittion shop here in town, The tech said the valve body was probably the problem. He said they don't rebuild these transmittions. Only replace from Ford, $3000.00. I'm going to drive it untill it goes out. GBSB

Thanks for the info. Took the Bird to a transmittion shop here in town, The tech said the valve body was probably the problem. He said they don't rebuild these transmittions. Only replace from Ford, $3000.00. I'm going to drive it untill it goes out. GBSB

Mine is being rebuilt right now.
So clearly they weren’t being straight up with you. Hope it all worked out for you.

Had mine rebuilt (valve problem) last April at Vern's Transmission in Salisbury - David Sapp proprietor. He has done over 20 of these on Birds and Lincolns. Bad tranny that Ford denied responsibility for. $750.

Had mine rebuilt (valve problem) last April at Vern's Transmission in Salisbury - David Sapp proprietor. He has done over 20 of these on Birds and Lincolns. Bad tranny that Ford denied responsibility for. $750.[/QUOTE]

This be Salisbury Maryland I presume?

Had mine rebuilt (valve problem) last April at Vern's Transmission in Salisbury - David Sapp proprietor. He has done over 20 of these on Birds and Lincolns. Bad tranny that Ford denied responsibility for. $750.

This be Salisbury Maryland I presume?[/QUOTE]
Yes, it is.

Thanks, John. If/when the Ferry across the bay happens the 3 hour trip should become 20 minutes. It is, however, nice to know there's someone that close that can fix my trans should the need arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back