E Code - do I need a new transmission?

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Another fine example of Ford service ineptitude.
Or, they were trying to sell an entire tranny so the service advisor gets more money! How can you trust those service advisors when they make a commission? Terrible system and they are overpaid typically with no formal education.

Icewine

Or, they were trying to sell an entire tranny so the service advisor gets more money! How can you trust those service advisors when they make a commission? Terrible system and they are overpaid typically with no formal education.
The Service Advisor sells you what the technician tells him/her the vehicle needs. Technicians, as a rule, prefer to repair assemblies rather than replace them, because they get more hours for the job. R&R is generally less labour intensive, especially on a transmission, because it has to come out anyway for most repairs.

As far as Service Advisors being overpaid, I’ve never met a rich one. Typically earning $50-60k per year up here in Canada, if they are good. Trust has nothing to do with pay plans. If it did, you couldn’t trust anybody that is paid on commission, and that is the vast majority of anyone in sales.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
The Service Advisor sells you what the technician tells him/her the vehicle needs.
I know how it works, I worked at the dealership years ago, and my fiance worked in the service department at the Ford dealership in recent years. They had a service advisor that was 19. Since when does a 19-year-old with just a high school education deserve to get paid 60 grand? It's a nonskilled labor job and the reason they make 60 grand is what I just described!

In this case, a quick google search brings up the part that they claim isn't available, but conveniently can do the alternative, an entire transmission.

I would try to find an independent repair shop with a good reputation and one that knows transmissions. The dealers do not want to fix things, they just want to replace the entire assembly.

Mach5

2004 Merlot
I think many on the forum believe that you are generally better off with a Lincoln dealer over Ford - if you are going to go the dealer route. I agree your best bet is to go with an independent shop that has a good reputation,. (I have a great one in Maryland.) You might give out your general location and others on the forum may have recommendations for you.