dream car? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

dream car?

• Thread starter Thread starter mrsamu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2002 T-Bird last year, with only 5000 miles. A real beauty and a car I want to keep forever. I went up against spousal disapproval for the "impractical" reason, but got it anyway. I am catching lots of flak recently because I've needed some high-dollar repairs done, all in the course of a few months. It started with the power steering pump (500.00), then went to the AC evaporator (1100.00), now I'm told I need a radiator fan motor (1000.00). This car has only 17,000 miles now. I always take the car to the Ford Dealer for repair, thinking they know best. I wish I'd bought the extended warranty when it was offered, but thought 2300.00 a little steep. Now, of course, I know it isn't. I just feel it's waaay too soon for these major things to be defective on such a low-mileage car. I was offered some dealer assistance on the first repair, but nothing since. Has anyone else out there experienced this? I want to go to the dealer and request a meeting with the district service manager and ask his opinion, but thought I would throw this out to the group and get some feedback from you all before I do that. I want to keep the car, but if it's going to keep costing me this kind of $$$ I'm afraid I'm going to be in big trouble. Thanks alot.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

....you need a history of the car in terms of TSB's Recalls etc. that have been performed on your car...through Ford with your serial number.....Your Service Department needs to review past TSB's and recalls on these 'Birds before deciding their own course of action.....this has probably cost you....If the service dept. has no knowledge or interest in this car...fairly typical.....check these NewBird specific sites....they are your only alternative.....

repairs

I'd be upset and frustrated with these problems too. 00mustng's advice sounds like a good answer to me.

I wonder if its low mileage might be a factor in these problems - it may have sat for long periods without being used, which is bad for any car. I've heard it said that the reputation Ferraris have for always requiring expensive repairs is largely for this reason; supposedly people who actually drive theirs often don't tend to have nearly the amount of trouble.

Hello lads, My 2002 has only done 7000 miles and I have not driven it for 5 weeks! I am worried now that I will have problems! Are these cars prone to trouble then? As I am in England, I have no dealer to go to. I do love my car and want to keep it forever (or even longer)

Roy

Hello lads, My 2002 has only done 7000 miles and I have not driven it for 5 weeks! I am worried now that I will have problems! Are these cars prone to trouble then? As I am in England, I have no dealer to go to. I do love my car and want to keep it forever (or even longer)

Roy

Ive got 6,800 miles on my 2002 and it's in storage for the next 3-4 winter months... I do follow the advice to start it up about every 6-8 weeks to let the fluids circulate. These cars are fairly rare here, I can only imagine the attention you get while driving it there...

...Hi Roy....Where are you in England?....I was at the Black Swan in Surrey last April, having a pint with the lads from the Thunderbirds of England club....70 'Birds strong...incuding NewBirds....There were 5 'Birds in the parking lot from '60 to '64.....don't know how you lads maneauver them!.....I had enough of an experience with my Vauxhall Astra rental!....Tell us your story of how it happened for you?....what colour?.....There is a chap from Holland who has a black '02, who freqents thunderbird sites.....and remeber...the underpinnings are the same as the Jag S Type, in terms of a service outlet.....Cheers!

Evening Mr Mustang
I am in Hampshire, not as posh as Surrey! I am surprised they had Thunderbirds in Surrey, they all drive Mercedes and BMW's! I loved the new Thunderbird as soon as I saw the concept car, I knew I would have to have one! I only realised me dream in november last year (6 weeks ago) when I bought me lovely red 2002 with only 7000 miles on it. I love her very much and even had a dream that I bought a red Thunderbird a week before I bought it! Her name is Mary Theresa and I shall be taking her out tomorrow for a spin to the seaside. I love her even more than I love me Pug.
I shall be taking her back to me homeland in Kildare, Ireland, in april.

Roy - Don't fret about your car. Modern Fords routinely will go 300,000 miles with routine maintenance (ask any cab driver here in the US - usually they use Ford Crown Victorias and drive them 300,000 hard miles before they sell them). However, any car will develop problems if not driven often enough. Driving them (not just idling) for 20 minutes once a month should be sufficient to get the engine up to operating temperature for a few minutes (to get moisture out of the engine). You should also be mindful of the fluids - regardless of how few miles you drive in a year, you should change the oil at least once a year. Don't forget the other fluids - changing the transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, and power steering fluids every other year should be more than sufficient. You are safest to stick with Motorcraft fluids, especially for the transmission fluid. Enjoy that beautiful car!

2002 T-Bird

You're really scaring me. I have a 2002 with 5,200 miles that has never been back to the dealer. So far the car has been flawless. I hesitate to take it back (even for the recalls) because they tend to screw up more than they fix. I do all of the routine maintenance myself. My warranty ends in May. Any advise?

I remind them that I am anal about my car and they take good care of it. Or try a Lincoln dealer and do the same .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back