Dealers getting desperate? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Dealers getting desperate?

• Thread starter Thread starter FordMan21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F
I recently had been trading emails with a sales rep from a dealership here in GA who has 8 T-birds in stock. Recently I got an email from their sales manager basically stating that they would do whatever it takes to make a sale. Well, before I called him I sent him a reply letting him know (in case the sales rep didn't tell him) about my current situation on my 01 Taurus. So far no reply but if I get a deal I'll let everyone know. I doubt they will be able or want to work with me since I still have 29 payments left on the Taurus.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

FordMan21 said:
I doubt they will be able or want to work with me since I still have 29 payments left on the Taurus.

I'm sure you have some negative equity, but I wouldn't worry. The Tbird has dealer cash which can be used to absorb that. They will still try to make money off you despite the fact they told you they would do whatever it takes, but you could get a good deal. Still the best deal is to get a used car.

I told the sales manager by email how much I still owe on my Taurus, what I estimate the value to be and that I really can't go higher than 500 on the payment. I'm sure he laughed when he read my email which is probably why I have not heard back from him nor probably will.

Who knows, they may get really desperate when they start getting 05s in stock. Since I have never test drove a bird I may do so at another dealership when I take my Taurus in to get a recall taken care of this afternoon.

FordMan21 said:
I really can't go higher than 500 on the payment. I'm sure he laughed when he read my email which is probably why I have not heard back from him nor probably will.

The sales manager can't change the law of mathematics. 500.00x60=30,000.00 that is with no interest. You are probably 2 grand in the hole on your Taurus, plus tax, title, etc.

I'd say there is no way.

Last edited:
tbird said:
The sales manager can't change the law of mathematics. 500.00x60=30,000.00 that is with no interest. You are probably 2 grand in the hole on your Taurus, plus tax, title, etc.

I'd say there is not way.

Unless they would want to do a 72 month payment plan! 🙄

I'll try my luck on one of the local lotteries.

I'm afraid you're too much upside down. By the time they add what you owe on the Taurus to the "Great deal" on the Tbird, well the math don't lie.

I'm sure the dealer will still make a profit on the Tbird sale. He is in the business of selling cars. Even if the cars aren't selling, without incentive money to prop up the sale he isn't going to lose money.

I think you'll find that a 72 month note is suicide. Check the payback amount on that note. Whew, scarey !!!! You'll just dig a deeper hole.

Where here's what I found out Sat afternoon while I was getting the recall taken care of on my Taurus:

The only "deal" this particular dealership is offering is an additional 4000 off the price of the T-bird. This is a X-plan deal that according to them is good through July 3rd. So if anyone is looking for a T-bird I'd recommend getting an X-plan pin number and be sure to ask them about the additional 4000 off. They wanted my car bad because they had no used cars to sell but because of what is still owed I can't go with the payment they gave me right now.

.....you watch.....everyone will want one when they're all gone!....everyone who has connected with one of these incredible roadsters has indicated, it's a keeper!.... 😀 .....me too!

I got a great deal....

I recently purchased a 2003 leftover with zero miles - premium - black with black with a white hardtop - for $28,000! The deals are out there - you just need to look and be willing to walk away....

ljsmith said:
I recently purchased a 2003 leftover with zero miles - premium - black with black with a white hardtop - for $28,000! The deals are out there - you just need to look and be willing to walk away....

Was that with or without a trade? I have not found any new 03s at any of the dealerships here in GA but most of them have plenty of 04s in stock. I figure they'll want to make a better deal when they start getting 05s in.

I got a smokin' deal on a leftover '03 Premium as well. WAAAY below invoice, and a very healthy price for my trade-in. I did my homework and knew what I was willing to pay. I showed up at the dealership in mid-February and made them an offer. I told them what I'd give for the T-Bird and what I expected for my trade. The salesman laughed at me, called the offer ridiculous but showed my offer to the manager. 2 hours later I was driving my new bird home. I found out later that mine was only the second T-Bird they sold since Sept.
I agree that once you've owned one you'll love it. Too bad for Ford that not too many people are willing to take the plunge. It's good for the buyers though. I don't know if these cars will go up in value but I firmly believe they'll hold steady vs. depreciate. If you paid invoice or less, you've made a wise investment and got a sweet car to boot! Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
ajsam said:
I don't know if these cars will go up in value but I firmly believe they'll hold steady vs. depreciate. If you paid invoice or less, you've made a wise investment and got a sweet car to boot! Just my 2 cents.

I don't agree. I think anyone who owns one of these will be buried alive in negative equity after 2-3 years especially with all the cool cars they are about to release.

Buying a new production car is NEVER a wise investment.

It could be worse

Think of the ones in 02 that paid 10K over and financed the thing.

Bet they still are making payments, those are expensive early waves
and comments. Thats why only pay cash. The mass of metals just
go down in price so fast.

.....TBird?....What cool cars? .....Who are they?.......I agree with Sophia.....I'm just glad we've got one......And I would bet each one of us will still be enjoying our roadsters 3 years from now....I would also bet that the majority of us consider our roadsters keepers!...... 😀

Just picked the car and driver

Out of the mail box. Tbird is right -- alot of neat looking cars coming.
With horsepower to match. Nissan Z's, Porsche 911, Caddies from
cars to trucks, Lincoln has a concept and not the tbird knock off,
Chrysler's, GTO's. Ford just tried to target a very limited market sector
that had memories of the original 3 year bird. Was at the dealer yesterday
they had a blue, nice looking car but it just doesn't say come look at me
anymore. The huge showroom was all truck and SUV's the Tbirds were
outside off to the side. The salemans said they are strictly for looks and
cruising around the neighborhood. At least this one said something nice.

New cars....

.....are amazing.

Had the chance last week to drive a friend's loaner car, a G35 sedan.

The car ran like a bat. I wondered how my Bird would do against it, and then I saw a Motorweek test of the car that stated 6.2 seconds from 0-60. That's just about the rating for an 03 TBird.

For a V6 engine, the car is unbelievable Then, I compare it to a rented Sable that I drove back in March and it's not hard to see why we lost the car market to the European and Asian companies.

But, it does look like we're getting our act back together, reference the Caddy line and the Chrysler/Dodge hemi vehicles. Here's hoping they get to put a real motor in the new Ford 500/Mercury Montego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back