Dealers getting desperate? | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Dealers getting desperate?

• Thread starter Thread starter FordMan21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a little late to jump on the High HP bandwagon. With Gas at $2 per gallon and rising, Unless you're independently wealthy, performance is going to have to be tempered by economy. That's one reason I love the T-Bird. I get the best of both worlds. I just drove a friend's new Chrysler 300 Hemi, and another friend's Caddy CTX. Regardless of what the specs say, my stock T-Bird will out-accelerate them both...That's real world testing with me behind the wheel. Consider that I get better MPG than the Hemi and about equal to the Caddy V-6 and you've got a strong case for the T-Bird. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them, they're both nice cars, but in 5 years they'll simply be 5 year old vehicles. In 5 years my T-bird will still turn heads, more so if they discontinue it.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

.......I understand what you are saying.....Your example of the G35....Different market...as in sedan.....Those of us that are attracted to our roadsters, were'nt looking for a sedan. Sure, the market segment isn't mainstream but I think one of the common reasons for purchase was a top that went down. I also think that most of us really don't care what can beat the T-Bird for performance. We bought the T-Bird because it is unique. (How many Z Roadsters do you see on the road?) it appeals to us emotionally and sensually and is a joy to own. For those of us who were looking for roadsters, there are choices but more common in numbers,in all shapes and sizes non of which can compare to the T-Bird or each other. If the 'Bird had, had a timely, successfull launch, at a price point of about $10,000.00 cdn. less....It would have flown. We are fortunate owners, only because we are second owners of our example....so when all the rentals and short term leases return to roost.....there will be an eager market to experience what we know to be true. There hasn't been a vehicle we've owned that illicits the kind of emotion and pride of ownership our roadster does.......I wonder if the original, and probably some existing owners of the 55's 56's 57's feel?/felt? the same way? 😀

size to gas $

A local station did a segment on buying habits locally. They talked to
several dealers and even with gas at $2+ the sales of large trucks and
SUV's are just as strong as before. People want a big vehicle since
feel safe and are willing to forgo other items for it.

I'm sticking with the large trucks and V8 motor even if it goes to $4 a gallon.
Can see that some have to look at budget. However from the study few
are worrying about it around here.

Another study that would be interesting someday is to find where the most
T-Birds were sold and mean actually sold to a consumer. I still see very few
around where live and if a dealer has a new one it sits for a long time. Did
they do better in heavy retirement areas where many of the consumers
remembered the original. When do see a bird at a dealership its usually
on the used lot, so figured many entered into a 2 years lease and terms are
now coming up.

Lots of T-birds in DC area...so to speak

I have seen several T-birds in my area. I know of at least two that reside less than a mile in opposite directions from my house and both are T-Bird blue 02's. Every Ford dealer in town has a few in stock, mostly new, and the used 02's are still in the newspapers for the mid to upper 20's.

I've owned mine since new, and will own it until I pass it off to my son with the 65 convertible that sits next to it in the garage. I wonder which car he will take to his high school proms and dances...heck he is only 7 years old, so both will be classics in another 10 years!

Enjoy your cars for what they are, a mode of transportation for the body and mind and soul! Drive 'em if you got 'em!

Flair

Just bought...

an '04 Bird, Premium, Merlot, Light Sand Appearance Package. X-Plan pricing with $4,000 Dealer Cash back. It looks great 🙂 I was gonna buy a Mustang, but when they gave me the Dealer Cash back I couldn't pass it up.

Just not that many...

After reading this thread for several weeks and having just returned from a 400 + mile trip to and from the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex I must comment:

I saw only 4...count them one, two, three, four T-Birds on the way to and in the Metroplex. Red, Yellow, Black, and White and then the PCR I was driving. That's not a lot. How many Mustangs, Vettes, Boxters, and Z3s did I see? Lost count - everyone in the DF/W area drives BMWs it seems. I had loads of people pass me in SUVs and wave and smile - seemed like several BMW drivers passed me slowly enough to give my T-Bird a good look.

Ok, lets fast forward to 2010 (only 5 model years from now) - if FoMoCo stops the Bird in say 06 or 07, by then they will be sought after - don't get me wrong - they will not go up in value for a lo-o-o-ng time if ever, but the slide in value may be much slower in as little as 8 model years from the start of production! I agree - don't buy anything with wheels less than 30 years old as an investment. They will usually disappoint you.

I saw the end of the C4 Corvette era in 1996 and less than 10 years later, the C4s that were garaged, had premium care, were limited in production, and can no longer be seen coming off the assembly lines are holding their prices (Case in point the 1996 CE or Grand Sport with the LT4 engines). The LT5 ZR-1s are up - way up in value and now are beyond new list prices - remember this was the "special" DOHC engine made by Lotus I believe.

If your Bird is not a daily driver and you garage it for a few years (be sure you drive it some...that's why we bought them) while taking good care of it I think it will be sought after - how much remains in the view of the buyer. If it is recognized that you can get a low-mileage T-Bird that has a Jag engine and suspension that is no longer made then they may resell well. But, I bought mine to drive, enjoy, and KEEP as has been said here. Some day soon the Ford Dealers may well be saying "Remember when we had those shiney T-Birds on the lot...wish we still had 'em".

Happy Birthday America - you build the greatest cars!!!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back