Question About Buying An 04 Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...the only mods I've done are the exhaust and the intake/air filter. Intake is 10 mins to put back. Replacing the stock mufflers is probably also 10 mins @ the muffler shop and about $20. bucks.

I had the car back from the body show for 2 weeks now. Replaced front and rear bumper covers. Sitting waiting to come out of a parking lot, a guy slowly drives into my rear wheel and also hits the section behind the wheel (another bumper cover and some very minor painting. I do have some damage to the rear suspension/sway bar. Still don't have the estimate. My concept was to trade/sell car as is, keep the insurance money, and get a new one. With the dealer cash 2004's seem to be @ 35K with the dealer cash, which is too much for me to do it. When I had them price is at the X plan, I don't believe it was much different than that. If I could find a new 2003 for about 30ish I might do it since I'm up to 25K miles on the car.

If not, I'll just get it fixed, and try to avoid these crazy drivers!

(Both accidents I was sitting still and saw the people coming at me, but couldn't move out of the way)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Both accidents I was sitting still and saw the people coming at me

What bad luck!! Were the other drivers looking the other way or looking at you mesmerized by the car? That’s the trouble with those red cars – too hard to see as they blend in so well with the surroundings. :D

I shopped for my 03 last year (10 dealers) around February of 03. I was eligible for the X-plan but the x-plan could not be used on the 03's. The dealers tried to push the 02's on me with the smaller engine and less options but using the x-plan. No dice! The only 03's that were on the showroom floors were the 007 models at sticker-plus. Some dealers even went as far as charging $1500 over sticker for a car. When I went to order my car- red with white top and black and red deluxe interior, it could not be done. Only the black deluxe was availble with my color scheme. Even called some fractory big-wig and he wouldn't change the build on my car. I settled for all white with the black and red with all options. I am very happy with my choice. Finally paid $39K plus tax from the dealer that I work with through my job. No hassle deal.

By the way, I drove the LS and Bird and the Bird is better handling and is faster. The convertible has a lower center of gravity for better handling. (took both out full tilt) To me, the same luxury is in the Bird as the LS.

It's like comparing a Mercury Marauder at $30K with a throaty
exhaust system to that of a Crown Vic Police Interceptor at $20K. The ride is the same, they are just as fast but no bells and whistles on the Crown Vic.

Ticket Ted

A-Z plan

Last May, I had no intention of buying a TBird. I was somewhat set on a Marauder (first choice was a Jag S, but my wife hated the styling).

As soon as the announcement was made to discontinue the TBird, I became interested. I found a dealer that would sell on the A-Z plan, and a closer dealer that would only go slightly off list.

After convincing the closer dealer that dealer B was willing to settle on the A-Z plan, he also agreed.

Leftover 02s were going for A-Z plan prices less rebates, but I was set on the higher hp 03 and the black/saddle combo. (2002: pay $30,816; MSRP $39,445)

I still can't help admiring the Marauder, especially in the Silver Birch color with a sunroof. Local dealer just gave me a very good price of $27,135 (MSRP-$35,635), no sunroof; A-Z plan and rebates factored in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Quickdraw
What bad luck!! Were the other drivers looking the other way or looking at you mesmerized by the car? That’s the trouble with those red cars – too hard to see as they blend in so well with the surroundings. :D

That is a big concern that I have. I was recently involved in my second accident in my Taurus that wasn't my fault but I was originally cited. Short version of if it I was making a left turn that was governed by a left turn signal. The guy across the street was making a right and apparantely felt he didn't have to yield to me. I tried to avoid him but we still hit. Officer cited me with failure to yield but the judge threw it out. Right now the matter in in arbitration. I'm hoping that it all go again the other driver so I can get my deductible back ($250). I did find out that I have total loss coverage which I definately will get when I get a T-bird.

Jerry,
I found a dealer that would sell on the A-Z plan, and a closer dealer that would only go slightly off list.

Are you eligible for the "A" plan? I know I see dealers advertise cars at "Employees "A" plan price" to the general public but thats not quite true. "A" plan is approximately 3 percent under invoice. If Ford Motor offers a dealer incentive of $3,500 as they did recently, thats about 10 percent off invoice. So a dealer can offer the car at "A" plan price to anyone off the street and still keep 7 percent for himself. A real "A" plan deal MUST be an employee or close family member. After the dealer submits the proper documentation Ford sends the dealer a commission for handling the sale.

Dealers do not have to sell to you at "A" plan even if you are an employee. It's rare for them to turn the deal down but for cars in high demand they can opt to refuse to sell for the commission Ford pays them.

A plan

Yes, I am A plan eligible due to father/brother-in-law both being past Ford employees.

Father-in-law passed away, but my mother-in-law is still allowed to obtain three A plan PINS per year. (In fact, she's in the process of getting one now for my daughter who wants to buy a Volvo S 40.)

I don't know who makes the "sale or no sale" on the A plan; the factory or the dealer.

When the TBird (and Marauder) were first announced, no dealer would even talk A plan.

As I noted, I had one dealer that would sell my 2003 TBird on the A plan, and one that wouldn't, although he did change his mind.

When I was Jag S shopping, the local dealer would sell a Jag S on the A plan, if it came from stock, but not one that he had to order.

Jerry,

I find the best part of using A/X plans is just not having to play the negotiating game with some car salesman.

Im not sure what you meant by: "I don't know who makes the "sale or no sale" on the A plan; the factory or the dealer."

The factory will not generally permit or pay A/X plan commissions on newly introduced vehicles in high demand but even when Ford is offering A/X plans on a given vehicle it is always up to the dealer whether he accepts it or not.

What brand of FMC cars can you buy with an A/Z plan?

I thought that only Ford and Lincolin/Mercery cars were available but I'm hearing that other FMC brands like Volvo, Jaguar, and Mazda are available.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Originally posted by tbird2003
What brand of FMC cars can you buy with an A/Z plan?

From the A/X/Z plan website....

Vehicles available
New, current model and prior model year vehicles sold in the United States (including Econoline and light trucks through E & F-350 series, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo and Mazda (S-Plan)) equipped with any regular production optional equipment, may be purchased or leased.

New prior model year vehicles may be purchased or leased from dealer stock only up to the date announced by Ford Motor Company (usually March 31 of the current year).

Ford Motor Company may, at its discretion, exclude certain models from the Family & Friends A/X/Z-Plan.

Current excluded vehicles include F-450 through F-750 Super Duty, E-450, E-550, Aston Martin and Mazda Speed vehicles. This list of excluded vehicles is subject to change.
----------------------------------------

They forgot to mention the Ford GT is also not available on any plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back