computer issues | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

computer issues

• Thread starter Thread starter Tom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any one else had issues with the computer system? I have a 03 that has had reoccuring problems that the dealer can't fix. The wrench light ( limp home mode ) comes on and the power / drivabilty is greatly reduced. I've found that if I shut the car off, the computer resets it's self and it's OK until later in the day or a few days ( no pattern ). The last time into the dealer they told me that Ford is aware of the problem but doen't have a fix at this time. I've called Ford Relations with no luck. I'm considering using the Lemon Law to get a new car.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Do you have another dealer nearby?

Tom,
That’s a new one – never heard of that problem. The “Wrench” warning must be unique to the 2003s as I don’t see that in my ‘02 owner’s manual. It’s the same engine and transmission as the Lincoln LS so there should be enough units on the road for problems to surface. There are several Technical Service Bulletins that deal with drivability issuses that cause the Malfunction Indicator Light to illuminate on the 03s. I assume the dealer has replaced all the parts and done all the recommended actions called for in these TSBs. If your problem is unique enough that Ford still hasn’t found a solution and you’ve given them every opportunity to solve it, invoking the Lemon Law sounds better than living with the situation.

EDIT: Tbirds suggestion to try another dealer is certainly worth a try. Its often surprising how much better some dealers are than others at service issues. Getting a new set of eyes on a problem never hurts

Last edited:
Traction control, ABS, Wrench, Emission Control Warning Lights

I am very concerned!!! I just bought the 2003 in Jan 2014 with about 55,00 miles about a month ago Traction control and ABS light came on, but would go on and off, When I would turn car off they went off. Then when driving down the road and hit a bump or something , would come back on...a week or 2 later wrench light came on, and it would go into limp mode...would go off when car turned off, but come back on later, now emission control light.....don't know if all of these related to just computer issues, or is really a coil issue, or what.

JT:
Please post what they had made and what the part number is so others have access to this info. Should all be on your work order. Thanks

JT:
Please post what they had made and what the part number is so others have access to this info. Should all be on your work order. Or copy the work order and paste it on a post. Thanks

Tom, Sophia & Toner 2.
Because these TBirds are mechanically the same as the Lincoln LS's it is generally accepted that you get better service knowledge at the Lincoln dealers.

I have found at 3 different Ford dealers, that they do not have a clue about these cars. 😕

I am now on my 3rd year with a Lincoln dealer and will stay with them.😎

Just a suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back