1973 460 Starter Issues/ Replacement

B

BigBird28

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Everyone!

Having some issues getting started lately in the colder weather especially on cold starts. I managed to get it started the other day after playing with the battery cables and waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. Now, no luck again. Usually it will crank over a few times then the starter will quit. I'll try again maybe get one crank then nothing. On the third try nothing, maybe a click. Battery voltage is reading at just above 12V so I'm thinking it's one of 3 things. 1. The starter is worn and can't cope with a cold start. 2. Something with the starter solenoid is bad (side note, where is the starter solenoid?) 3. Bad ground somewhere

I've read that when starters are old and failing they'll need more current to work. Any truth in this with 460s?
Any input would be greatly appreciated and if I do need to replace the starter, is it possible to replace without lifting the car?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If your battery reading is less than 12.6 volts it needs to be charged. All starters require more amperage as they age. Battery cables can develop corrosion under the plastic insulation and that dramatically increases resistance.

Good call, I'll have to give the cable from the junction to the starter a look. I've been gradually replacing wires over time so you may be on to something with that one just being worn out.
Battery voltage is good. I installed a voltmeter in the cab and the battery is reading good, at least 12.5V. Also new alternator as of about a year ago that's been great so I don't think it's that.

Any input on replacing the starter without jacking the car?

If you are really skinny! You probably will find it much easier to jack it up.

Got it, so definitely no way to do it from above via the engine bay.

I've never seen anyone try that job from the top. If I remember correctly one of the bolts on the 460 starter goes in from the back side.

Back