coil on plug units failing | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

coil on plug units failing

• Thread starter Thread starter gwigg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
gwigg
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have a 2005 T-bird and so far have had 4 COPs fail. Number 8, 7, 6, in that order. now number 7 failed again. The replacement is a duralast so it's got a lifetime warranty. Any suggestions why they are failing with only 32K miles on the car?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

2003-2005 TBirds are covered up to 100,000 miles for COPS. If you paid for replacements you can get reimbursed by ford. Any Ford or Lincoln dealer can look up your car on their OASIS systemto see if any of this was done previously
If you use Search, above you will find the backup data to this

Expensive lesson

I have a 2005 T-bird and so far have had 4 COPs fail. Number 8, 7, 6, in that order. now number 7 failed again. The replacement is a duralast so it's got a lifetime warranty. Any suggestions why they are failing with only 32K miles on the car?

My coils keep failing as soon as I replace one 20 miles later another would fail. I took the car to my mechanic and ordered the coils online and had him replace all 8 and now I have no problems. If this starts again I will just replace all never one.

Sorry about that.
Here's some context!

I had plenty trouble with COPS and while certainly a service bulletin might have got you a replacement, that ship has sailed due to aged model year(s) and a general lack of proactivity on behalf of FORD to actually make a better replacement COPS.

So, I went out and found some great COPS here: aipelectronics.ecrater.com/.../dragon-fire-...

Excellent purchase. Not a single problem since replacing ALL COPS at one time.

Also, I use "Pulse Plugs" with my DragonFire COPS and I have never, EVER had a problem since the changeover.

Excellent parts these COPS and for NOT a lot of money either. They have a great warranty as well.

ALSO, I took the covers off from over the COPS. The condensation inside was literally drowning out my goods! I had water almost 2" deep in a couple cops drops!

Now a thing of the past.
Give 'me a shot next time you have a COPS problem. But don't waste your time, money or tears on replacing them with "stock" hunks of garbage.

(Sorry Ford, but COPS are not your strong suit).

working good for now

I replaced the COPS with Duralast COPS and they have a lifetime warranty. I went to the Ford Dealer and they submitted my claim and I got a check in about a week. They said that I should have brought the car in for them to replace them but I had all my documentation including the Diag. Print out.

I also noticed the condensation and the idea of removing the covers sounds like a good idea. I wonder if anyone makes a ventilated cover. Something to consider. Thanks for the help.

gwigg: Thanks for the update. Glad you got your money back as well, for the COPS

COPS Fail

As George reports below, this is covered by Ford for 10 yrs and/or 100k miles.

I had read about this problem on this forum wondering when it might happen to me.

Last week it did and knowing what I learned from this forum, plus it (replacement guarantee) does show up on the Ford site but someone suggested I request all 8 coils be replaced as well as all the plugs.

Ford changed them all and installed new plugs as well at no cost. I saw the bill they will send to Ford and it was like $650.00.

Runs like a dream now.

By-the-way, my 05 T-Bird has 28500 miles.

I am pleased it worked out for you John. That's what the forum is all about, sharing info and helping others.
Thanks for the feedback 😎

My issue is that ford started that policy with the 2003 Tbird. What about us owners with the 2002 that had exactly the same problems. I had to replace 5 COPs before the problem was completely solved, at my expense! I love the car, hate Ford.

Barry:
That has been an issue for all 2002 owners ever since Ford made their original announcement.
As you know, they only covered 2003-2005's and I can only guess it was because those years had 280 HP vs. 2002 with 252 HP. (Just a Guess)
- Note; The original notice was in July of 2007 for 2003's. Then in May of 2008 a modification came out to include 2004 & 2005's.

As much as 2002 owners complained, I do not recall anyone getting an answer from Ford.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back