Check engine light on. 2005 t-bird | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Check engine light on. 2005 t-bird

• Thread starter Thread starter BIG SKY
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 t-bird with 1,851 mile on it. The check engine light flashes at me. I had it back to the dealer and was told that they replaced all coils and spark plugs with some type of gasket also. Was told that they also flushed the fuel injectors they feel with so few miles I might have bad gas. The light is still on! Was told they called Ford hotline they now have replaced the alt. and it's still on. was told vehicle has miss fire codes for all cyl. Has anyone heard of this?? The coils were covered under warranty but not the alt. I want the car fixed but dont want people throwing parts at it.
Thanks for any in put on this matter.
Brian in WY

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

We have a local auto parts place callled AutoZone. They will read the computer codes and tell you what is wrong for free here.

Big Sky:
Tbird is correct, any Auto Zone will read the codes. I have a rather lengthy list of code numbers and what they represent. If you want a copy PM me your email address. BTW, did any codes show up on the dash read out? Ifg not they still may be in the computer when they hook it up.

FYI: AutoWeek says: “A check engine light is a reminder that the emissions are not totally up to snuff. (This sometimes is a continued annoyance when you install superchargers, headers, and/or off road pipes)
If it annoys you, disconnect the positive battery cable , reinstall and enjoy the many miles of carefree driving.”

Hey, it's worth a try on your part.
George

Last edited:
Here's some other data I had saved from another guy:
"I have a 2002 with 34,000 km. on it. Last week the engine light came on. Read lots on this and was hoping it was an oxygen sensor. Had an appointment for a clean air test as needed one for license plate renewal, so continued to drive car and would get repair prior to test.
A couple of days after light came on, the car started idling fast at times and then normal again. This continued but became more frequent and would stay at around 1400 RPM while in gear and stopped at traffic light etc. Would sometimes hit 2500 RPM on highway and stay there without foot on accelerator.(Cruise control not on, but car ran like it was engaged). Car otherwise responded like normal and every once in a while would return to normal operating RPM.
A long winded intro, but I wanted to give all the symptoms. Computer read out said it was the IAC motor (Idle Air Control).
Work sheet shows CX-1731
Part XWYZ-9F715-BA Price..$245.76 from FORD (no aftermarket part)

Had repair done at independant garage I use as no warranty. 1st and only problem with car to date. Mechanic said this is a fairly common problem with FORD's."

BTW, here's the codes for Idle air control, so he musty have had one of them show up:
P1505 Idle Air Control System at Adaptive Clip.
P1506 Idle Air Control Over Speed Error.
P1507 Idle Air Control Under Speed Error.

Last edited:
I also read this recently, in case it may help:

"For what it's worth, "check engine" light on my 05 came on back in summer. I took it to the ford dealer to be checked out, they replaced the EGR valve. I did'nt know EFI cars had a EGR valve."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back