Bad door locks 2002 T bird | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Bad door locks 2002 T bird

• Thread starter Thread starter jimheissen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J
I have my car in shop and they told me I needed new actuators for my door locks. They replaced the actuators and now say I need a new computer. Can someone advise if this is the normal procedure for repairing door locks ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Jim, I've been an owner since early 2002 and have yet to hear about any issues like yours on any of the forums.I would get a second opinion though, first

REM Rear Electrical Module

George,

I am not getting the work done at this time due to cost, but for T-Bird folks the problem is a bad REM Rear Electrical Module which controls the door locks. Cost 710.00 for module and 280.00 for FORD to reprogram.

Anyone else have this problem ?

Thanks,

JIM

Jim:
I understand why. That is a rather expensive fix.
Since you car is a 2002 your car's warranty expired and if you had an extended warranty, it too has expired. As these cars get older things will go wrong, SO....think about a used car warranty:

I recently had a lube/oil/filter change on my '02 and the dealership said; "want to buy a used car warranty"? It is 48,000 miles on top of what you have and a 4 year extention. So my 15,000 mile car would be covered for up to 63,000 miles or the year 2013, which ever comes first
He told me its a new program Ford is doing. It was $1795, so I started shopping at other Ford dealers. In CT I could get the same one for $1395....Finally found one in Illinois for $1295. Same Ford PremiumCare 500.
So if interested, check out your dealer, get the brochure that shows whats covered and then decide. I believe your locks would be covered plus anything else. That is if your going to keep the car.
If you think $1295 is worth it, and want the Il dealers name and number, send me a PM 😎 BTW $1295 divided by 4 years is about $0.89 a day, or the price of a cup of coffee🙂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back