adding a supercharger to a 2003

liamfj17
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last edited by a moderator:
Jaguar uses the same engine in there XKE and call it a 4.0 litre. If you can find a salvage yard with a wrecked XKE you can take the engine and the computer out of it and install it in your T-Bird. Remember Ford owned Jaguar back in 2005. Everything bolts right up to the T-Bird because it is the same engine and you get 430 HP. Good Luck Rick

Jaguar XK-E cars have not been built since 1975. None were built with AJ-V8 engines since that engine family started in 1997.

Jaguar used the AJ-V8 engine in XK Series to include XJ8, XK8, XKR, XJR, and the S-Type. Both in 4.0L displacement for one year then 4.2L for the remainder of production.

"R" cars are supercharged ie, XKR, XJR and S-Type R.

2002-2005 Thunderbirds all use the Ford/Jaguar DEW98 platform. The Ford DEW platform (or DEW98) is Ford Motor Company's mid-size rear-wheel drive automobile platform.

DEW98 is used on Jaguar S-Type (and Lincoln LS as well as Thunderbird) thus making a 4.2L supercharged AJ-33S/AJ-34S engine from the STR the most obvious candidate.

Transmission factory-mated to supercharged AJ-V8s is automatic 6R55 (retro Thunderbirds and Lincoln LS use five-speed 5R55). 6R55 has six forward speeds. Gear ratios on the six speed are unfortunate as the change is by adding a very low ratio first gear. This is because the STR cars etc have a numerically low final drive ratio. 2.87:1 IIRC. Thunderbirds have 3.58 final drive ratio. This makes the 6R55 unsuitable for Thunderbirds UNLESS you desire to build a dragster.

The major hurdle you will face is mating the three electronic control modules to both the engine and transmission.

Dual intercoolers and the rest of the supercharged engine plumbing will fit under a Thunderbird hood with a little massaging. Or do as I planned and for clearance use a hood scoop from Carroll Shelby's original 1967 King Cobra.

I thought about it too, search for my post on this forum to see it. I can get the Jag engine with 60,000 miles and all needed hoses, wire harness an computer for $900. Tasca Ford racing said that there are too many electrinic issues to deal with and to boot the drive train couldn't handle the power.

Cost would be high and only experienced Ford custom shops could do something. If you want fast, they said...build a 750 HP custom Mustang...that they can do in 6 weeks for about 20K
2005 Supercharger from Jaguar XJ?...search for this post

Hello to all,
I am looking to purchase a 2005 Thunderbird. My question today is has anyone thought of or has installed a super charger on a 2002 - 2005 Thunderbird?
If yes, what was/is the results?

Welcome to the forum, it is a fountain of information about the Birds. Diane and I have an '05 and the only thing we've done is replace the air filter with a K&N. The car has plenty of power and gets 25 mpg on the road. We just turned 40k on the clock, very little trouble. No squeaks or rattles, still like a brand new car. A keeper.

This is the only realistic way to improve the performance on your car- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/aftermarket-performance-parts-upgrades-2002-2003-2004-2005-thunderbird.5001/

381_f76d6c0232c5518d98704259a68abe51.jpg

380_d14320b34e651305f7b0fd4d2d569f75.jpg

383_27a1ec6fbb12f79b997bdc0d1e6ed2b2.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone turbo charged their retro Tbirds? Any recommendations as in do it or don't do it.
I traverse back and forth from Phoenix to our mountain home at 7,000' and have felt no lack of sufficient power at altitude. I easily climb the mountain highways at 90 mph (excuse me, typo. I meant 65 mph, the speed limit.) It will be interesting to see how turbocharging works for you if you do it, but in my case I'll skip it as unneeded for my performance requirements.

Belay the question. Just Googled this. No can do. No room, low hood. One guy claims he can do it...for $10K. Besides, IF it had fit it would boost your HP to 400! That's a bit ridiculous.

I was wondering if anyone knew about supercharging an 03 Thunderbird. I've seen the Quik LS build, which uses the same engine, but I cant figure out what type of supercharger he used. Has anyone done this before or know what type would fit?
Trying Again---My Ford dealer in RI (Their Racing Shop Team) Said the Jag engine would fit but the computer system isn't compatible with an engine swap. Suggested if spending all that money to get a '57 and put a 427 in it---no computers!

I heard thru the grapevine that is possible; something about a new ratio gear, shims and pin swap but only a 3:55 R-End will work. You'd still need to block out the traction control somehow---ah the computers did it!

I look at the supercharger and all I can think is - man that would make it so much harder to change the COPS and plugs. :D

Back