2005 What Chassis Platform | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2005 What Chassis Platform

• Thread starter Thread starter steveo0752
  • Start date Start date
S

steveo0752

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Greetings. I am a proud new owner of a 2005 50th Anniversary Premium Thunderbird. Wonderful car with only 59,000 miles. This is my third T-Bird, having owned a 1966 Town Hardtop, and 1978. My question to you folks is the platform (chassis) that the 2002-05 Thunderbird was built on. I think it is likely the Mustang SN95 platform. If it is a different platform entirely, I'd like more information as well. Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ford Motors purchased Jaguar in 1999 and purchased Land Rover in 2000, selling both to Tata Motors in 2008.

Unfortunately during this time period Ford made the Lincoln LS and Retro Ford Thunderbird using Jaguar components and engineering from Jaguar.

Obviously it did not take them long to realize their mistake.

The Thunderbird is built on the Ford DEW platform.

From Wikipedia:

The Ford DEW platform (or DEW98) was Ford Motor Company's midsized rear-wheel drive automobile platform. The D/E nomenclature was meant to express an intermediate size between D- and E-class vehicles, while the W denoted a worldwide platform. The platform was developed by both Ford and Jaguar engineers, and debuted in the Lincoln LS sedan. Its de facto predecessor in Europe was the DE-1 platform which underpinned the 1985 Ford Scorpio, however this vehicle was cancelled in 1998 without a direct replacement as in the European market, buyers were increasingly turning away from executive class cars manufactured by mainstream manufacturers.

Ford's use of the platform ended in 2006, but Jaguar continued to use DEW98 after Jaguar was sold to Tata Motors in 2008, building the XF on it. Jaguar's use of the platform ended in 2015 with the introduction of the second-generation XF using the Jaguar Land Rover iQ modular platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford Motors purchased Jaguar in 1999 and purchased Land Rover in 2000, selling both to Tata Motors in 2008.

Unfortunately during this time period Ford made the Lincoln LS and Retro Ford Thunderbird using Jaguar components and engineering from Jaguar.

Obviously it did not take them long to realize their mistake.
Sad day for Tbird fans, as usual the Jag electronics don’t cut it. Saved some dollars underpowered them, under performance and over priced.

Back