Replacing 5R55N 2005 Select shift transmission with 5R55S Mustang Transmission

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Dear members,
Would anybody know if the 5R55S transmission from a mustang (without Select Shift) can be built into a 2005 Thunderbird that has the Select Shift feature?
I imported the Thunderbird to Germany, and it is impossible to find a replacement transmission here with Select Shift.
Thank you so much.
Harald

Here some background from web research:
Just as the title states, the Ford 5R55 Transmission has four versions. Ford 5R55 can have an N, S, or W behind those numbers.
  • The 5R55 is a rear wheel drive 5-speed that appeared in 1999 and later vehicles.
  • The 5R55W came out in the 2002 and later Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger models.
  • The 5R55N appeared in the Jaguar S-Type and Lincoln LS and in 2002 in the Ford Thunderbird.
  • The 5R55S without the Select Shift is used in the 2005 and later models of the ford Mustang. In 2003 the Thunderbird and Lincolns switched to the 5R55S that had the Select Shift (allows drivers to shift like a standard without the clutch).

Short answer is yes it can.
High performance 5R55X transmissions have been available for years from a variety of aftermarket American companies. Will handle up to 850 horsepower.
Or rebuild your transmission the way you want it.
Take a look at this short list and google for more.
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Hey guys, I have a 2003 thunderbird with just over 110k miles now and the transmission is done for somehow, seems way too early for a replacement especially considering the car is still stock. However, here I am searching the internet for my best replacement option. I looked at those performance 5R55 transmissions but I really just don't need that. My mechanic wants to do a basic rebuild but is charging 4k for the entire thing which seems very expensive from what I've read. I just read this article below on our transmissions and apparently getting our transmission remanufactured is a better option, is this common knowledge? For reference I drive it maybe 2 or 3 times a week for fairly short drives and I'm not too hard on it.

The Ford 5R55 transmission has four versions, 5R55E,N,S and W. The 5R55S without the Select-Shift feature was used in 2005 to 2010 models and the later Ford Mustang models. The 5R55S was switched to one with the Select-Shift feature in 2003 by the Lincolns and the Thunderbirds, which allowed drivers of these Ford models to mimic shifting like a standard vehicle without necessarily using a clutch.

The 5R55S Transmission is a 5-speed automatic transmission designed for Mercury and Ford Lincoln applications. This Transmission comes with a 5R55S performance built torque converter and with all units upgraded to match the manufacturer's quality. The 5R55S factory transmissions near me are tested, inspected thoroughly, and blueprinted before shipment to ensure they are fully operational. They are most suitable for cars that are powered by an engine that has mild performance advancements. This Transmission features the latest technology in the automotive industry with advanced internal components for increased dependability, strength, and torque.

5R55S Transmission Problems

Before or after the 80,000 mile mark, the Ford models equipped with the 5R55S Transmission have been reported to experience harsh engagement and harsh up-shifts. Others are reported to have excess wear on the valve body. This is mostly experienced in the newer Lincoln LS vehicles and the 2003 5R55S vehicles. When a transmission begins to have problems, some common parts usually require replacements or rebuilding the filters, gaskets, bands, clutches, seals, and valve body.

Remanufactured or rebuilt 5R55S Transmissions?

Rebuilt transmissions are built in a garage with very low-quality control, and a single individual assembles them. In contrast, remanufactured transmissions are built-in state-of-the-art factories and using the latest tools and equipment.

Unlike rebuilt 5R55S or 4R55E transmissions https://reman-transmission.com/transmissions/ford, remanufactured ones use strict quality control policies and inspections to ensure that each unit meets the standard quality. They come with matching torque converters ready to install, and they have a longer warranty plan coverage than rebuilt ones.

Remanufactured transmissions are built by qualified technicians who have skilled and specialized in transmissions. If the original components of your Transmission are defective due to a flaw in the design or due to excess wearing, they are substituted with new parts. In rebuilt transmissions, the rebuild kit doesn't necessarily address design flaws.

In rebuilt transmissions, only the defective, worn out, or broken parts are replaced. There is an inspection of hard parts like shafts, planetary gears, and shafts for defects, damage, and wearing out in remanufactured transmissions, then replaced with new components.

The service life of a rebuilt transmission is dependant on the skill and expertise of the mechanic working on it, and the testing is one on the specific vehicle. If there are problems identified still, it is removed and then reinstalled, which takes up time for labor, unlike for remanufactured transmissions, which employ dyno-testing to confirm the Transmission's functionality.

If you plan to keep and use your vehicle for a long time, it's most advisable to have a remanufactured transmission rather than a rebuilt one installed. A remanufactured transmission is beneficial, but that doesn't mean that having a rebuilt one installed by a mechanic will end up badly. Some skilled mechanics are able to identify and prevent some of the potential problems with the Transmission during the build.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C3_transmission

Last edited by a moderator:
Back