2005 Automatic Transmission Leak | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2005 Automatic Transmission Leak

• Thread starter Thread starter COLP
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 with just over 18000 miles started leaking transmission fluid. Took it to local Ford dealer and they had to pull the transmission and replace the transmission converter seal (Codes 7A248/7F401). While they we doing this, they also installed a redesigned "Drain Pipe" in the transmission. Just picked it up so I will watch it and see if this fixed the problem. No charge as I had purchased a 0 deductable extended warranty last year! 🙂

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

2005 Thunderbird transmission oil leak

Does anyone have any information on a redesigned transmission drain pipe for the 2005 T-Bird.

I purchased my T-Bird new and it began ocassionally leaking a redish oil at 6,000 miles. I have been back to my Ford dealer five times since. This dealer has been the only one I have used to repair and maintain my T-Bird, which is now at 36,000.

The dealer has previously blamed its own mechanics for overfilling the transmission with transmission oil. The overfill caused excess oil to seep out of the drain pipe ocassionally when the oil heated up, they have said. Last time the dealer kept the car five days to ensure there would be no more leakage.

A couple of weeks later there was more transmission fluid on my garage floor and then (like usual) it went away. Now the dealer thinks it is a leak from my AC compressor unit -- that may have been leaking over three years instead of the transmission?

I'm wondering if this problem sounds familiar to any Forum members?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards. Red
2005 T-Bird Owner

Hi Red; I believe that the transmission is a sealed unit. So if it is, that is a confusing scenerio.
However, keep after them if you're under warranty and be sure that you get a written work order each time. That way if you run out of warranty and the problem still exists, you have proof and Ford is liable to fix.
Finally, if the AC has been leaking, does itr still; blow cold air?

Yes it still blows cold.

I got a second opinion today and the AC is leaking so I will get this fixed.

My dealer agreed to pay all except a $100 extended warranty deductible
($850 total repair cost)

I do have all of the work orders if the oil leak continues.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards. Red

Hi Red,

As to info on the redesigned transmission oil drain pipe, when I had the work done on the leak of my 2005, the code number next to the pipe they installed is: 6R3Z*7A010*A PIPE - OIL DRAIN.

Do not know if this is a labor code or the actual part number. Since they did the work on replacing the converter seal and installing this redesigned pipe, I have not had any more leaks. Granted, I have only driven a couple of hundred miles since the work was done.

Hope this helps.

COLP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back