1957 sudden transmission leak from bell housing

baby bird

baby bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My transmission started leaking all of a sudden. Not dripping but a fast leak. The fluid is comming from the bell housing. I checked al the bolts around the converter and the drain plugs. All were tight. Any one that can help is much appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since we are an all Thunderbird site, you can omit "Thunderbird" "Tbird" etc from your titles to shorten them. I will update now.

"Leaking 2 speed automatic transmission on 1957 Thunderbird."

is now:

"1957 sudden transmission leak from bell housing"

Last edited:
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings BUT :-(
If it’s definitely tranny fluid and not engine oil the most likely culprit is the front seal behind the converter.
pretty easy job once the transmission is on the bench however removing the trans requires engine removal.
if the leak is minor maybe a small drip pan is in order and check fluid level frequently.

A good transmission shop can remove the transmission from the car from below, I have never done this but have had 3 of them overhauled at different shops and the procedure involves removing the transmission in 3 sections. If you have this done make sure you have the shop replace the large O ring seal that is in the torque converter. This is often overlooked at shops since modern converters do not use this seal. If it is a substantial leak, bite the bullet and get it fixed.

Transmission can be removed without pulling the engine but it is a process. Generally it may be easier to pull as a unit then break the engine and trans apart after removal.

Torque converter .....i would bet on it.
Easy job once motor is out.

Torque converter .....i would bet on it.
Easy job once motor is out.
Its been a while since I first posted but it is fixed. The problem turned out to be the seal under the transmission pump. I sent the converter out and had it rebuilt but before they did anything I wanted it pressure tested. no leaks were found. Changed out the seal n the input shaft and put the correct gasket back on the pump. All working perfectly.

Its been a while since I first posted but it is fixed. The problem turned out to be the seal under the transmission pump. I sent the converter out and had it rebuilt but before they did anything I wanted it pressure tested. no leaks were found. Changed out the seal n the input shaft and put the correct gasket back on the pump. All working perfectly.
Sweet....my seal near torque convert has been out twice.

Back