2005 Air door Vacuum motors in the dash? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2005 Air door Vacuum motors in the dash?

• Thread starter Thread starter PLE999
  • Start date Start date
PLE999
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
After switching off the engine, I've been hearing numerous squeaks behind the dash as the air doors close. I assumed it was the vacuum system bleeding down. Is that normal?

Now it is making the same noises when I start the engine with the A/C off. They stop when I turn the A/C on. And, if I turn the A/C off again, the noises DO NOT restart until I turn off the engine.

Major or minor issue?

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ford and probably all manufacturers do not use vacuum-operated HVAC controls anymore.
They use electric motors to move the doors.
They do not have a blend door to control the temperature of the air. It uses engine coolant.

OFF

When OFF is selected:

• The air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment.
  • The floor door actuator positions the floor door in the OPEN position, and the panel door actuator and defrost door actuator position the panel door and defrost door in the CLOSED positions. This closes off airflow to the defrost duct, the side window demisters and the instrument panel A/C registers.
  • The dual coolant control valve is in the closed position, preventing the flow of hot coolant to the heater core.
  • The blower motor is off.
PANEL

When PANEL is selected:

• The Recirc request button is enabled. If the Recirc request button is selected (indicator on), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment. If the Recirc request button is not selected (indicator off), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to admit only outside air into the passenger compartment.
  • The panel door actuator positions the panel door in the OPEN position and the floor door and defrost door actuators position the floor door and defrost door in the CLOSED position, directing airflow to the instrument panel A/C registers.
  • The dual coolant control valve is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s).
  • The A/C request button is enabled. When the A/C request button is selected (indicator on), the A/C compressor will operate if the outside air temperature is above approximately 2°C (35°F). When the A/C request button is not selected (indicator off), the A/C compressor will not operate and the air cannot be cooled below the outside temperature.
  • The blower motor is on. The blower motor speed is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by adjusting the blower speed rocker button.

Ford and probably all manufacturers do not use vacuum-operated HVAC controls anymore.
They use electric motors to move the doors.
They do not have a blend door to control the temperature of the air. It uses engine coolant.

OFF

When OFF is selected:

• The air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment.
  • The floor door actuator positions the floor door in the OPEN position, and the panel door actuator and defrost door actuator position the panel door and defrost door in the CLOSED positions. This closes off airflow to the defrost duct, the side window demisters and the instrument panel A/C registers.
  • The dual coolant control valve is in the closed position, preventing the flow of hot coolant to the heater core.
  • The blower motor is off.
PANEL

When PANEL is selected:

• The Recirc request button is enabled. If the Recirc request button is selected (indicator on), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment. If the Recirc request button is not selected (indicator off), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to admit only outside air into the passenger compartment.
  • The panel door actuator positions the panel door in the OPEN position and the floor door and defrost door actuators position the floor door and defrost door in the CLOSED position, directing airflow to the instrument panel A/C registers.
  • The dual coolant control valve is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s).
  • The A/C request button is enabled. When the A/C request button is selected (indicator on), the A/C compressor will operate if the outside air temperature is above approximately 2°C (35°F). When the A/C request button is not selected (indicator off), the A/C compressor will not operate and the air cannot be cooled below the outside temperature.
  • The blower motor is on. The blower motor speed is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by adjusting the blower speed rocker button.
Showing my age, I guess. My Dad was an Olds & Studebaker dealer from 1952-1955. Then, Lincoln, Mercury, English Ford, Rambler, Studebaker, British Leyland (Austin Healy & MG) until 1966. (I learned to drive a stick on a Healy 3000 MkIII). Then, Ford, AMC, Rover and Triumph until 1972. Then, Pontiac and the first Subaru dealer in Florida until 1975. I bailed in 1978, as a Ford service manager, when it stopped being fun.

So, what the hell is squeaking?

Back