2004 synthetic oil longevity | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 synthetic oil longevity

• Thread starter Thread starter JW in Dixie
  • Start date Start date
JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
2004. How often or many miles should synthetic oil be changed?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Most full synthetic oil is typically 7500 mile intervals. I change every three years if I don't hit the mileage mark.

I change my oil every 5000 miles. 7500 is too long of an interval in my opinion.
Transmission and P/S fluid every 50000 miles
Coolant every 5 years min.
Brake fluid every 2-3 years. Brake fluid attracts moisture and breaks down over time.
Rear axle every 100000 unless there is a problem like a noisy bearing or leaky seal.
Posi units every 60000

Put the model year in the subject on future posts. Added for you.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Ford engines that are designed for synthetic oil are good for 9000 miles. 7500 is good in the t-bird. however, you should not go more than a year between oil changes regardless of miles. The gas vapors will break down the oil over time.

Well, I drive about a thou a year, so is there any point in using the more expensive synthetic vs. regular oil? Thx

Yes, synthetic oil is better for your engine than conventional oil. Although conventional oil can provide adequate lubrication performance, it can’t compete with the overall engine performance and protection provided by synthetics. Synthetics use higher quality base oils as compared to the less-refined base oils used in conventional oils which makes conventional oils Less chemically stable, Oxidize and acidify more easily, Quicker to break down and lose the protective qualities ....

Check oil prices
Well, I drive about a thou a year, so is there any point in using the more expensive synthetic vs. regular oil? Thx
Check the oil prices at Autozone, Advance, ect. ... If you change oil yourself, there is not that much of difference between synthetic and conventional. I always use what the manufacture recommends. Check the manual.

Ford engines that are designed for synthetic oil are good for 9000 miles. 7500 is good in the t-bird. however, you should not go more than a year between oil changes regardless of miles. The gas vapors will break down the oil over time.
Always wondered - do gas vapors break down synthetic oils too? I always use 100% synthetic from Amazon. I can usually find a jug for under $20. Mine is a daily driver. Normally one change per year.

Synthetic oil is a misnomer.

Synthetic oil''' is a [[lubricant]] consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made. Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified [[petroleum]] components rather than whole [[crude oil]], but can also be synthesized from other raw materials. The base material, however, is still overwhelmingly crude oil that is distilled and then modified physically and chemically. The actual synthesis process and composition of additives is generally a commercial trade secret and will vary among producers.

As Bond 07 says synthetic oils all start as crude oil. There synthesized so all parts are close to same size then additives are added. The additive packages are main difference in oils by brand. This come from both a Valvoline and Mobil one seminars. I know it seems expensive to change oil at 5000 but really it is better to change more often. Cheap insurance in the long run. Also might want to check and see what filter manufacturer thinks about these long oil change intervals.

Back