2004 Steering Pulling Right | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 Steering Pulling Right

R
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have a 2004 Thunderbird that was started pulling to the right. At first I thought front needs alignment But as I drove it a little I discovered it’s the steering system turning the wheel to the right. Anyone have This issue before? Can the steering sector be adjusted to bring it back to neutral turning force? Are there any videos on this issue?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First check that you have equal air pressure in the front tires.
Checked that already and all is good. with car running, foot on the break and hands off the wheel, I can ease off the break and as soon as the car starts rolling the steering wheels starts turning to the right. It is a hard turn, no gradual turn.

Jack up the front end all at once if possible or one wheel at a time. Grab the tire with both hands and try to wiggle it from the top and bottom. Also, try to wiggle in from both sides. If you can wiggle it side to side it is most likely steering components. If you can wiggle it top to bottom then suspension. If you can wiggle it both ways then wheel bearings. Be careful not to knock the car off of the jack and crush any important body parts. Make sure you are on a level surface and use multiple jack stands if possible.

Also, turn the tire by hand and make sure it spins freely. If the right brake caliper is stuck it would have that same effect. Also, it would get really hot after driving just a short distance.

MODERATOR NOTE: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. RECOMMEND TAKING IT TO A TIRE STORE OR MECHANIC TO INSPECT ON A PROFESSIONAL RACK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2004 Thunderbird that was started pulling to the right. At first I thought front needs alignment But as I drove it a little I discovered it’s the steering system turning the wheel to the right. Anyone have This issue before? Can the steering sector be adjusted to bring it back to neutral turning force? Are there any videos on this issue?
Check to see if you have a brake caliper dragging. One way is to see how much heat is coming off the wheel by comparing sides. Don't touch the wheel because it may be hot enough to burn you if it's sticking. Use your hand to see how much heat comes off each front wheel after you drive it. Do you smell any brake odor ? (smells like a slipping clutch) Better yet is to use an infrared thermometer to check temp, but most people don't own them. Check to see if your tire air pressure is the same and proper. These things may put you on to what is wrong. Barring that , did you or someone else hit a pot hole and knock out the alignment ?

Does anyone have this problem. The steering wheel does not return back to center after making a turning right or left. I flush the power steering fluid and it still does not return back to center. Any help would be great.

Since we are an all Ford Thunderbird site, you can omit the model of your car from future titles to shorten them. I edited "Thunderbird" out.

Is your power steering stiff? That is a bad FEM symptom.

If not, have you had your suspension inspected?

Ball Joint & Control Arm

Shocks & Struts?

@Regleg had this issue back in June. He did not post the resolution. Maybe he is still driving in circles?

Last edited by a moderator:
If all the suggestions above did not give good results, it is time to check the rack and pinion system.
There are valves inside that give power assist to the steering, sounds like one of the valves is sticking.

If that is the case time to get a rebuilt rack and steering assembly.

Back