1995 Tie-rod replacement, lost turning radius

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I took my bird in for front-end work at our local mechanic. They replaced all 4 ball joints and tie-rod ends. Before they did any work, I could turn my steering wheel 1.5 times in each direction. Now that we got it back, it turns 1.5 times to the left, but barely 1 time to the right. I took it for an alignment, that shop found the first shop overtightened on the lower tie-rod end and cross-threaded the top tie-rod end on the driver's side. He had to replace both of the driver's side tie-rod ends, but the passenger side was "OK", however, he could not figure out why I lost the turning radius.

Could the idiot that worked on my car originally have messed with the steering box somehow to cause this problem? He packed his tools and walked out of the shop 2 days after I got my car back but before I got the alignment. The original shop paid for the replacement tie-rod ends and the alignment without batting an eye. However, no one knows how to get my turning radius back. I have to do a 3-point turn just to get into a parking space. HELP!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It almost sounds like that 1st guy locked everything down straight while the rack had some turn on it.. the 2nd guy did'nt check to see if the rack was centered when he did his work......how did rack get out of center? moving a bunch of stuff around while the cars up in the air, kinda like first guy was guessing what he was doing......this is a Total guess on my part, but that's what it sounds like.......one way to check on this, you'd have to have both wheels off the ground, start car, have a helper under that rack and pinion, turn wheel all the way right and left while helper compares inner tie-rod reach on both ways, right/left..............

Better yet, pull into a spot Perfectly straight, raise front end and assuming wheels are perfectly straight, get some kind of mesurement on both inner tie-rods coming out of rack...If I'm correct, and it's a total guess on my part, the mesurement will be different on both sides, even the thread amount showing at the outer end will be different AND IF you have a great ruler, you could probably check it right there and never have to lift the car..........

It almost sounds like that 1st guy locked everything down straight while the rack had some turn on it.. the 2nd guy did'nt check to see if the rack was centered when he did his work......how did rack get out of center? moving a bunch of stuff around while the cars up in the air, kinda like first guy was guessing what he was doing......this is a Total guess on my part, but that's what it sounds like.......one way to check on this, you'd have to have both wheels off the ground, start car, have a helper under that rack and pinion, turn wheel all the way right and left while helper compares inner tie-rod reach on both ways, right/left..............
They have rechecked and found the coupler from the steering box was messed with. It is stripped out and barely hanging on. It is more than apparent the original "mechanic" was clueless. He quit 2 days after he worked on my car. The problem is he worked there for a long time before the bird got there, and supposedly this is the first problem they had. The shop is taking care of this the problem. Not necessarily their fault they can't find decent help nowadays.

I question who decided this was necessary. My man just went along with their suggestions. It started out pulling to the right when I hit the brakes then going back to center the minute I let my foot off the brakes. It never had anything to do with the steering in my opinion, just the braking system. I just pray they can figure it out and get my car back to the wonderful ride it once was. Thank you for your reply.

Your right, ya only mess with that coupler when your changing racks, don't know why you'd mess with that changing inner/outer tie-rod ends....And when it comes to someone touching my Bird, I try to do everything myself because there's nobody left out there that I can trust and that even knows these cars anymore.................now that pulling to the right during braking, sounds like left caliper not closing because of crap on the piston wall or simply dried up slide pins.......If you had a steering issue with inner/outer rods, that probably would show up as shimmy in the wheel during braking first......Anyway I hope ya get your '95 back right again,.......

I just found out the "mechanic/wrench" has jumped on the meth/fentanyl train so who knows what he did to my car. The shop is trying to make it good. I can do maintenance but major stuff is above my pay grade/fear factor. My grandfather told me to never trust a shop. He was right! Thank you for your reply.

If ya would'nt mind, let me know if ya get yours straightened out....and what it took.....I don't know a whole lot of people(none) that have my car, I'm pretty sure somewhere you said yours was a 4.6L ?? your grandpa sounds like a knowledgeable guy..............

If ya would'nt mind, let me know if ya get yours straightened out....and what it took.....I don't know a whole lot of people(none) that have my car, I'm pretty sure somewhere you said yours was a 4.6L ?? your grandpa sounds like a knowledgeable guy..............
I took it back to them, and they replaced the coupler. It drove home fine. It appears the turning radius is mostly back. It still feels off compared to when I took it to them. I don't think it will ever be the same. It needs another alignment, and I haven't done that yet. I'm just so disappointed.

My engine is the 4.6L. She runs awesomely. She has some electrical issues, but all in all, I love her.

Yes, my grandfather was a knowledgeable guy. A truck driver from the old days. I'm positive he is saying, "I told you so!" He's been gone 25 years, but is still stuck in my head.

More on the saga later!

" I don't think it will ever be the same," now that's sad, I hate to hear that about a 4.6L '95.....not many of us left out there.....I'd offer my help to you to get yours squared-up if your ever around the Tallahassee area, my knowledge and labor is always free, owners just have to come up with parts and of coarse I only perfer Ford service/Motorcraft parts.....but it always seems like I'm the only MN-12 owner in this area, I can tell when I take mine out about once/twice a week for supplies the way everyone looks at it(turns heads).....And I big on keeping up with her, that's why I've swapped out so many things on her, she's my only daily-driver and she is very dependable.....And I'm like you, every year I have her, I love her more........
You mentioned some electrical issues, I hope not to crazy stuff there, like I've heard some stories out there that has never happened to me, knock on wood.....
Don't know where your mileage is at, mine at 142k.....I'm on my 3rd window motors, fixed fuel gauge several times, having trouble with my cassette player of late, wondering if your instrument cluster lights are still working proper, bulbs out, one side brighter than the other, etc......other than that, my moonroof still working great, don't think I've ever put a tail light bulb in my Bird......front headlight boxes I swapped a couple years ago, made the car look so much newer from the front.....wondering if some of this stuff don't touch on your Bird some what........Oh and as you can see by my avatar, I've added the SC o.e.m. driving lamps complete with switch in console like a SC........
Always enjoy talking to ya, that offer still stands on the Tallahassee area thing, I'd always help out another '95er........................
Small world, I was a OTR trucker from '93-'03, and yes my dad drove OTR back in the early '70s, RIP 1977.................

Did'nt mean to spook ya "j".....you probably don't get to many offers like that..."you supply parts, Ford parts and the labor is free".....That's the kind of person that I am and have always been......Many Ford owners living in the Tampa bay area can tell you the same......My goal has always been to help out people to own and drive older Ford products that normally would'nt because of their car knowledge, or their wallet.....And I've always hated people out there that take advantage of that.....So if I could help one person out there save money on a repair or simply get some no BS advice, then maybe they too can enjoy their old fords the way that I have for my entire life because that's ALL I've ever owned and worked on, never touched anything else in my life and never wanted to......Not a lot of True Ford people out there that can make that same statement and I'm very proud of that...........
But anyway I've tried to help on this site all I can but am tired of being shunned by most regardless of subject, even you had me fooled for awhile.....with that being said, I will delete my account here and stay where my loyalty truly is, with Vintage, there I have found a true home with other true Thunderbird owners that are concerned about real restoration and preservation of their Vintage Thunderbirds.....It was nice chatting with you for a bit there "J"......Lot's of luck with your '95.....I'm sure you'll able to get some great advice out there and probably find a knowledgeable mechanic for her as well...............

Did'nt mean to spook ya "j".....you probably don't get to many offers like that..."you supply parts, Ford parts and the labor is free".....That's the kind of person that I am and have always been......Many Ford owners living in the Tampa bay area can tell you the same......My goal has always been to help out people to own and drive older Ford products that normally would'nt because of their car knowledge, or their wallet.....And I've always hated people out there that take advantage of that.....So if I could help one person out there save money on a repair or simply get some no BS advice, then maybe they too can enjoy their old fords the way that I have for my entire life because that's ALL I've ever owned and worked on, never touched anything else in my life and never wanted to......Not a lot of True Ford people out there that can make that same statement and I'm very proud of that...........
But anyway I've tried to help on this site all I can but am tired of being shunned by most regardless of subject, even you had me fooled for awhile.....with that being said, I will delete my account here and stay where my loyalty truly is, with Vintage, there I have found a true home with other true Thunderbird owners that are concerned about real restoration and preservation of their Vintage Thunderbirds.....It was nice chatting with you for a bit there "J"......Lot's of luck with your '95.....I'm sure you'll able to get some great advice out there and probably find a knowledgeable mechanic for her as well...............
I'm sorry I didn't respond to you the other day. You did not spook me. I wish I lived in Florida, I would head right over and bring my girl to you. Unfortunately, I live on the opposite corner of the states. I live in Washington State. I am 58 and in college. I barely have time to breath right now.

My bird only has 65K on her. The man I got her from rarely ever drove her. Her electrical has been nibbled on by little critters. One side of the instrument cluster is a little dimmer than the other side. For a while, the turn signals would work for about 4 flashes then stop working. The dinger that lets you know you've left the lights on or the keys in the ignition once you open the door, dings once I've turned the car off, until I get out of the car. We took her to our "wrench" and he robbed the accessory power to fix the turn signals, so now I have turn signals, but no accessory power. If I want to listen to the radio while waiting in a parking lot, I have to let her continue to run.

The shop I took her to did get the steering straightened out, mostly. She still feels tight when I turn right. But at least I don't have to do a 3-pointer to get into a parking spot anymore.

The main problem I have with her, at this moment, is braking. This whole nightmare started when the ABS light and the Traction Assist light would come on occasionally when it was raining, but rarely any other time. She was pulling to the right when I hit the brakes, then would whip back to the left when I took my foot off the brakes. The "wrench" said it was the brake booster, but they replaced the master-cylinder (trying to save me money). The brakes kept bleeding down so I took her back. They then said it was a valve on the booster that was clogged. I asked them to flush the brake system, but I don't think they ever did. (At least they didn't charge us for it.) Clearly a braking problem. That's when they came up with all the front end parts being bad. I agree with the ball joints being bad. It squeaked like crazy. I disagreed with the tie-rod ends being bad. My man said, while they are in there, just let them replace everything. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Like I said, they got the steering pretty much straightened out, but the brakes are still spongy. I want the "wrench" to make good on the work they did. However, I am leary to let them touch it again. For now she sits pretty in my front yard. You hit the brakes and it slowly bleeds down. I am driving my other baby, a 93 Explorer. She has her own set of problems....

Like I said earlier Mitchell, you did not spook me. I am just super busy. Any suggestions you want to offer are greatly appreciated. I rarely check my email anymore because it is full of junk mail. However, I check in here about once a week if you want to reply more. I will gladly hit you up for suggestions when I get back to worrying about her. Since school started, September 23, she has been the last thing on my mind, except when I walk by her.

Thank you, Mitchell, for all your advice!
Talk to you later.
Jeannette

Swore I'd never be back to this site, I thought I'd already deleted my account here BUT thought I ought to check on your progress........
First, here where I live in the woods, IF you let your car sit for to long(only a couple days) mice, rats and squerrels will eat on your wires under the hood, don't let that happen, some chewing in the right place can be costly.......
You mentioned that sometimes when u turn on your lights, your panel sometimes is dim in spots, Mine did the same thing several years ago......The fix, the cluster needs removed and cleaned-up and new bulbs installed......My panel lights up like brand new......
You mentioned turn signal issues, mine did the same thing several years back....the fix, you need a flasher....MY signals flash like brand new.....
The lights-on warning ding, you'd have to explain that more to me, I don't think I've ever had that problem...........not sure about what he did to your accessory, but it's no good to turn ignition "on" to listen to radio, ignition "on" is turning on your fuel pump anb various things prepping for a motor start, I would try to advoid sitting around with ignition "on" for any period of time, if it was me....I really only use "on" for checking DTC codes...........
On that turning radious, I sure wish I could look at that for you, it still sounds like someone needs to check the distance on the tie-rod ends and check to see if the inner tie-rod ends are centered...............
Darn-it, I can't help with ABS stuff, my bird has drum brakes on the rear, over the years I never got involved in any ABS stuff.....I'll have to ask a friend that knows ABS stuff on that one...........On a normal day, both the booster and master gets changed at the same time AND I do try to flush out brake fluid every 5 years(I'm still on o.e.m. master and booster) the only thing that sounded a little funny was the part about the master or booster was making the car pull to one side...........IF the car went a long period of time with old fluid, you may need some calipers replaced........I replaced my front one's with red one's about 10 years ago.......
Spongy brakes, when you have a ABS vehicle and open the system, there's a certain way that you bleed your brakes otherwise they will feel spongy, this sounds like what happened to you, until someone dones it the right way, they will never feel right(now you know why I never let anyone touch my Bird !!.....................the slow bleed down sounds like a master/booster issue, provided you don't have a leaking line, something I don't see in Florida, leaking lines comes from rust usally on northern cars............
Hope I helped with some info.................
Keep me informed Jeannette.................P.S. love that 58K on the clock, mine WAS there at one time, just wondering, what color is your Bird, mine's Black with grey leather AND the older she gets the more I love her........the clock on mine is 142K...............

Back