2004 Limp mode problems

I had a simillar issue. My 04 bird kept going into limp mode at random. It was throwing codes P2111, P2135, P2104, and P2106. I changed the TPS out with a Gen 4 Motorcraft and 300 miles later everything is running just fine.

My only suggestion for those who are doing a TPS replacement is to remove the airbox & thermostat housing. I cracked my thermostat housing and broke the head off the bolt on the bottom hard to reach TPS bolt. It takes a little more time but will save you hours of headache. Even when you heat things up to loosen the threadlocker, those bolts have a hard time coming out and the last one is almost impossible to get straight on.

A misfire, severe enough, will almost certainly invoke "limp mode" be it due to plugs, COPS or computer issues.
An OBDC scanner is imperative on these cars so you have some background to avoid getting jacked around at the dealer by mechanics that have been on the planet less time than your car has.

what are some causes of limp mode??
That's like asking "What are some of the most common repair headaches a T-bird may give its owner?"

There are sooooo many interdependent sensors and computer modules on these birds that if ONE of them has a problem, or is only "marginal," that condition may cascade across multiple branches to cause other components to act up, even though that component would act completely fine without a bad signal from a faulty sensor or module otherwise. That is why many shops (especially dealerships) have a hell of a time tracing problems to their root causes...just too many possibilities!

My 2004 T-Bird (24,000 miles) went into limp mode and the Ford agency said it was a throttle body but after they replaced that, it still didn't run right and went into limp mode again, immediately. Then they said that there is a bad module but they can't seem to find one and don't know when they might get one. I am wondering if I needed a throttle body in the first place ($1,600) and does anyone know anything about a module that would get me back on the road?
What codes were pulled would be my first question. Before replacing throttle body I would check pressure at tb. It could very well be a fuel pump and or fuel filter.

That's like asking "What are some of the most common repair headaches a T-bird may give its owner?"

There are sooooo many interdependent sensors and computer modules on these birds that if ONE of them has a problem, or is only "marginal," that condition may cascade across multiple branches to cause other components to act up, even though that component would act completely fine without a bad signal from a faulty sensor or module otherwise. That is why many shops (especially dealerships) have a hell of a time tracing problems to their root causes...just too many possibilities!
Different electrical problems can interfere in the 5V communication between the throttle position sensor (TPS) and the main computer (ECU) and send the car into limp mode.

Example 1: this youtube video of a fabulous detective finding it is a faulty component in electrical wiring of the climate control. With climate control off the problem goes away.

Example 2: In my 2004 I found the culprit to be the dimmer switch for the instrument panel. If you click it all the way up, it turns on the foot well lights and the dome light and if you start the car and attempt to drive it triggers limp mode. With the dimmer switch in any normal intermediate position, the problem goes away. Of course I found this out only after paying a Ford dealer to replace all the coils and the Throttle Body. Next time I hope to find someone like the youtube video guy in my town.

What codes were pulled would be my first question. Before replacing throttle body I would check pressure at tb. It could very well be a fuel pump and or fuel filter.
Panz - I have a post explaining issues with the Throttle Position Sensor. My guess is the throttle Body that was replaced had an older TPS sensor attached to it. When I had Limp mode issues, I replaced the TPS with a Gen 3 version and havent had any issues in 3-years with limp mode. Please look up my posts regarding TPS replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back