2004 Cruise control not working

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Mine went out and I figured I could live without it until the air bag light came on. It turned out to be the clock spring. Once the clock spring was replaced, the radio buttons, cruise controls and air bag were all fixed. Not saying that is your problem, but it is a place to look.

I too had that problem and it was the clock spring, located in the steering column, behind the air bag. Check to see if the horn or volume controls are working on the steering wheel. If not, Then it's probably the clock spring. I replaced mine myself. Pretty easy job but be careful when disconnecting the airbag. You MUST disconnect the battery and then let the car sit for about 30 mins. to allow any residual voltage do drain otherwise the airbag will deploy. Ck Video:
The video is for a Lincoln LS which is the same as the T-Bird. Hope this helps.

Hi all. I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently purchases a 2003 thunderbird with 41000 miles on it. Overall, the car is in like new condition. The main problem I’m having is the cruise control will not turn on. I tested the switch with an ohmmeter and it works as described in the manual. I have an Autel scanner and the car has a U1041 vehicle missing or incorrect vehicle speed output status fault. I have checked my abs speed sensors and my vehicle speed sensor and all are working. I have also checked my parking break switch and it works correctly. On my scanner, I noticed it reflects on the speed control command switch that the PID is not supported. I am not sure what this means. I do not know the service history for this vehicle. Could this mean the ECU may have been replaced and the cruise control not turned on when the new one was installed? I also don’t think it’s the clock spring because all the radio controls work. Do I need to find someone with IDS to see if the cruise control is turned on? Any other ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also don’t think it’s the clock spring because all the radio controls work.
It might be the ABS Control Module. I have seen this exact same issue reported with the Lincoln LS which is the "sister car" and they reported they had the U1041 error and that replacing the ABS Control Module fixed the problem. Please report back when you get this fixed to help others who have this problem in the future.

Also, have you tried clearing your codes or disconnecting the battering to reset everything?

It might be the ABS Control Module. I have seen this exact same issue reported with the Lincoln LS which is the "sister car" and they reported they had the U1041 error and that replacing the ABS Control Module fixed the problem. Please report back when you get this fixed to help others who have this problem in the future.

Also, have you tried clearing your codes or disconnecting the battering to reset everything?

Yes, I have disconnected the battery, and cleared codes many times. My scanner shows PID’s for all the functions except on, off. It shows that function “ PID not supported “. Since the ther cruise control functions are supported, this doesn’t make sense to me. It’s like the function is not turned on at all. aBS does not have any codes. Also my check engine light is not on. I’m not sure where to begin testing. I have removed the switch and it tests ok..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have disconnected the battery, and cleared codes many times. My scanner shows PID’s for all the functions except on, off. It shows that function “ PID not supported “. Since the ther cruise control functions are supported, this doesn’t make sense to me. It’s like the function is not turned on at all. aBS does not have any codes. Also my check engine light is not on. I’m not sure where to begin testing. I have removed the switch and it tests ok..
Again, I have seen this exact same issue reported with the Lincoln LS which is the "sister car" and they reported they had the U1041 error and that replacing the ABS Control Module fixed the problem.

Back