2002 2003 2004 2005 ABS Speed Sensor XW4Z2C190AA

D

Docsouce

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After a year on the road in our RV, I took my 2004 out of storage. After giving it a good overall check out, I find I have an ABS Traction control light that came on. Had the vehicle scanned and the fault showed as a "Left Rear wheel speed sensor failure." I found the handy parts page posted here, which is great, but I have a couple of quick questions. Does this part
3W4Z-2C190BA work on all the wheels? Good on the left rear, right rear? Also do our Thunderbirds use a "Tone ring"? I didn't see it listed but thought I'd ask. And is there a video on changing the wheel speed sensor out. I haven't done one of these before and like to check out the process for tips.
Thanks

MODERATOR NOTE:
Purchase here-
2002 2003 2004 2005 ABS Speed Sensor part XW4Z2C190AA

Purchase on eBay- https://ebay.us/RLsGtK

Purchase on Amazon.com https://amzn.to/3SeX7KK
XW4Z2C190AA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

After a year on the road in our RV, I took my 2004 out of storage. After giving it a good overall check out, I find I have an ABS Traction control light that came on. Had the vehicle scanned and the fault showed as a "Left Rear wheel speed sensor failure." I found the handy parts page posted here, which is great, but I have a couple of quick questions. Does this part
3W4Z-2C190BA work on all the wheels? Good on the left rear, right rear? Also do our Thunderbirds use a "Tone ring"? I didn't see it listed but thought I'd ask. And is there a video on changing the wheel speed sensor out. I haven't done one of these before and like to check out the process for tips.
Thanks
If you have a left rear wheel speed sensor failure fault, I would first check the sensor connector for corrosion and harness for damage. Sometimes while in storage mice like to chew on the wiring harnesses. As far as the wheel ABS speed sensor ring, it is part of the rear half shaft and cannot be replaced separately. If the fault code was C1145 and/or C1155, there is a Technical Service Bulletin that addresses this. Part number 3W4Z2C190BA is for either the left rear or right rear wheels. Part number 3W4Z2C204AA is for the front wheels.

Attached is the rear wheel speed sensor replacement procedure and Technical Service Bulletin 04-22-13.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor.PDF
    332.5 KB · Views: 20
  • TSB 04-22-13ABS Warning Lamp On.pdf
    184.8 KB · Views: 15
I'm sorry I can't answer your wheel speed sensor fitment question. All I have to go by is the attached front and rear wheel speed sensor part numbers from ALLDATA.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Wheel-Speed-Sensors.jpg

I'm sorry I can't answer your wheel speed sensor fitment question. All I have to go by is the attached front and rear wheel speed sensor part numbers from ALLDATA.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I think they just use one part now.

Update on the wheel sensor issue: My parts dealer used the Ford part number 3W4Z2C190BA and was able to fine one for me. It was an exact match. Upon disassembly I did find the contact pins slightly corroded. I cleaned the chassis side connector with contact cleaner then put it back together using the newly purchased sensor. I'm happy to say, the ABS light is off and everything is working properly. As Doug said, I suspect the corrosion was the culprit. As always I appreciate the advise you folks offered.

Back