2004 convertible top won't go down

I have read every post thread. All speak of up and down convertible top relays, but none specifically give the actual relay number specific to my 02 bird. The diagram you mention in the above thread does not fit my fuse boxes. I have no relays in this configuration and none have C4063 or C4064. I am attaching photos of my relay boxes if someone can please help me identify the specific relays to raise and lower top I will be forever grateful.
72C17E3F-A178-413C-BBCF-08179B93B20B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your photo is of the relay box under the hood. The relays for the convert top are in the trunk next to the spare tire

Thank you. Can you point out the relays on the attached photo?
4928593A-A086-44C3-9FB7-BBC60324C332.jpeg

You’re looking in the wrong place. The convertible top raise and lower relays are located in the auxiliary relay box 1, located in the passenger compartment behind the seat next to the Rear Electronic Module.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 23891

What module are you talking about? My top won't go down.
In post #4 of this thread I explained how the convertible top operates along with the wiring diagram. In post #13 of this thread I showed where the convertible top relays are located and how they can be tested. The convertible top raise and lower relays are located in the auxiliary relay box 1, located behind the seat next to the Rear Electronic
Module.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

REM and Aux Relay Box.jpg

Hey everyone, convertible top won’t go down and it seems like windows on both sides down automatically slightly go down and up when opening and closing doors. Additionally, door ajar light on dash remains on and can’t tell which side is remaining open. Electrician took a look and suggested I purchase and install complete door latch assembly kits to both sides which would also resolve the convertible top issue, but those pieces plus labor would cost me upwards of $700+. Anyone else have a similar issue or recommend another course of action? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, convertible top won’t go down and it seems like windows on both sides down automatically slightly go down and up when opening and closing doors. Additionally, door ajar light on dash remains on and can’t tell which side is remaining open. Electrician took a look and suggested I purchase and install complete door latch assembly kits to both sides which would also resolve the convertible top issue, but those pieces plus labor would cost me upwards of $700+. Anyone else have a similar issue or recommend another course of action? Thanks in advance!
The windows slightly going down and up when opening and closing the doors are called the short drop glass feature. This is a normal feature that improves door efforts and sealing. Page 39 of your owner’s manual explains this feature in further detail.

The door ajar light will illuminate when the ignition is on and any door or the trunk is open. Check the trunk switch before you start replacing any door parts.

As far as the convertible top not operating, did you check the condition of fuses 14 and 31 in the battery junction box in the trunk next to the battery?

Give this information to the person that is diagnosing your car.

Looking at the wiring diagram, when you press the convertible top switch to lower, ground is sent from terminal 2 of the convertible top switch to terminal 4 of the Front Electronic Module. This tells the FEM that you want to lower the roof. The FEM then sends a signal through the CAN bus lines to the Rear Electronic Module telling the REM to lower the convertible top. The REM then grounds the control side of the convertible top lower relay to energize the relay. Once the relay is energized, voltage is sent through the white wire from the convertible top lower relay to the convertible top motor. Since the yellow wire of the motor is grounded through the convertible top raise relay, the convertible top motor operates.

When you press the convertible top switch to raise, ground is sent from terminal 5 of the convertible top switch to terminal 17 of the FEM. This tells the FEM that you want to raise the roof. The FEM then sends a signal through the CAN bus lines to the REM telling the REM to raise the convertible top. The REM then grounds the control side of the convertible top raise relay to energize the relay. Once the relay is energized, voltage is sent through the yellow wire from the convertible top raise relay to the convertible top motor. Since the white wire of the motor is grounded through the convertible lower relay, the convertible top motor operates.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Power Top Wiring Diagram.JPG

The windows slightly going down and up when opening and closing the doors are called the short drop glass feature. This is a normal feature that improves door efforts and sealing. Page 39 of your owner’s manual explains this feature in further detail.

The door ajar light will illuminate when the ignition is on and any door or the trunk is open. Check the trunk switch before you start replacing any door parts.

As far as the convertible top not operating, did you check the condition of fuses 14 and 31 in the battery junction box in the trunk next to the battery?

Give this information to the person that is diagnosing your car.

Looking at the wiring diagram, when you press the convertible top switch to lower, ground is sent from terminal 2 of the convertible top switch to terminal 4 of the Front Electronic Module. This tells the FEM that you want to lower the roof. The FEM then sends a signal through the CAN bus lines to the Rear Electronic Module telling the REM to lower the convertible top. The REM then grounds the control side of the convertible top lower relay to energize the relay. Once the relay is energized, voltage is sent through the white wire from the convertible top lower relay to the convertible top motor. Since the yellow wire of the motor is grounded through the convertible top raise relay, the convertible top motor operates.

When you press the convertible top switch to raise, ground is sent from terminal 5 of the convertible top switch to terminal 17 of the FEM. This tells the FEM that you want to raise the roof. The FEM then sends a signal through the CAN bus lines to the REM telling the REM to raise the convertible top. The REM then grounds the control side of the convertible top raise relay to energize the relay. Once the relay is energized, voltage is sent through the yellow wire from the convertible top raise relay to the convertible top motor. Since the white wire of the motor is grounded through the convertible lower relay, the convertible top motor operates.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 30501
Thanks for the detailed response Doug, that is much appreciated. I'll take a look at the fuses and will check the trunk switch before ordering any pother parts. I should mention though, that the last post had a typo. I had meant to state hat the short drop glass feature on both windows doesn't work and am not sure how this relates to the convertible or door ajar issue, but though tit was important contextually. Would love some input from you or others if anyone has experienced a similar issue or knows how to get down to diagnosing it.

Thanks for the detailed response Doug, that is much appreciated. I'll take a look at the fuses and will check the trunk switch before ordering any pother parts. I should mention though, that the last post had a typo. I had meant to state hat the short drop glass feature on both windows doesn't work and am not sure how this relates to the convertible or door ajar issue, but though tit was important contextually. Would love some input from you or others if anyone has experienced a similar issue or knows how to get down to diagnosing it.
@doug7740 Hey Doug, replaced FEM and checked all fuses and relays across the entire car. Also lubricated the tops moving parts and blew some air into the crevices but to no avail.

Even after rebuilding the FEM and cleaning out the hardware for the top, windows wont index, top stalls about half way back and door ajar light is still on.

Someone mentioned a trunk switch sensor or hood switch in front as possible culprits but cant seem to find and diagnose what could be the issue with those two switches (before moving on disassembling the driver and passenger door panels and working on those latches). Any diagrams or explanation on how to fix/adjust trunk/hood switches or sensors would be greatly appreciated.

Back