2004 convertible top won't go down

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm trying to diagnose a problem raising and lowering the top. I've replaced the up and down relays and checked the grounds on the FEM. Fuses are OK. No voltage to the motor. Rocker switch checks out.
I have the service manual but I can't find a diagnostic procedure for either module. Help!

I'm trying to diagnose a problem raising and lowering the top. I've replaced the up and down relays and checked the grounds on the FEM. Fuses are OK. No voltage to the motor. Rocker switch checks out.
I have the service manual but I can't find a diagnostic procedure for either module. Help!
Looking at the wiring diagram, when you press the convertible top switch to lower, ground is sent from terminal 2 of the convertible top switch to terminal 4 of the Front Electronic Module. This tells the FEM that you want to lower the roof. The FEM then sends a signal through the CAN bus lines to the Rear Electronic Module telling the REM to lower the convertible top. The REM then grounds the control side of the convertible top lower relay to energize the relay. Once the relay is energized, voltage is sent through the white wire from the convertible top lower relay to the convertible top motor. Since the yellow wire of the motor is grounded through the convertible top raise relay, the convertible top motor operates.

When you press the convertible top switch to raise, ground is sent from terminal 5 of the convertible top switch to terminal 17 of the FEM. This tells the FEM that you want to raise the roof. The FEM then sends a signal through the CAN bus lines to the REM telling the REM to raise the convertible top. The REM then grounds the control side of the convertible top raise relay to energize the relay. Once the relay is energized, voltage is sent through the yellow wire from the convertible top raise relay to the convertible top motor. Since the white wire of the motor is grounded through the convertible lower relay, the convertible top motor operates.

Since you said that the convertible top does not operate, as you see the cause could be the convertible top switch, the raise relay, the lower relay, the FEM, the REM or the wiring. Since you said that you replaced the relays, you can eliminate the relays. I don’t know how you checked the convertible top switch, but if you diagnosed it properly we can eliminate the switch.

You said that you checked the grounds, the grounds that you need to check are; G300 at the right rear vehicle floor, and G301at the left side vehicle floor. If the interior light is working than G301 has to be okay. If the FEM or the REM wasn’t grounded properly, then you would have more problems than just the convertible top not operating.

Since you said that you checked fuses 14 and 31 at the battery junction box in the trunk, that leaves the FEM and the REM. This is where you need a scan tool, preferably one with bi-directional control. When I was at the dealership, I would start by checking for faults in the FEM and the REM and if there no faults present, I would then command the convertible top to raise and lower using the scan tool. Remember if the CAN or Data bus wires were open or shorted, there would be CAN bus faults stored.

As biddle said, the convertible top not functioning is a symptom of a defective FEM, but before you start replacing the FEM or the REM take the vehicle to the dealer, or a repair shop with the proper tools and knowledge to properly diagnose the system.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Top Wiring.jpg

One other thing I forgot to mention is the hardtop sense switch. If the sense switch is defective the REM would think that the hardtop was installed, when it was not, and would not allow the convertible top to operate. The sense switch can be checked with a scan tool monitoring the sense switch PID in the Rear Electronic Module.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Looking at the wiring diagram, when you press the convertible top switch to lower, ground is sent from terminal 2 of the convertible top switch to terminal 4 of the Front Electronic Module. This tells the FEM that you want to lower the roof. The FEM then sends a signal through the CAN bus lines to the Rear Electronic Module telling the REM to lower the convertible top. The REM then grounds the control side of the convertible top lower relay to energize the relay. Once the relay is energized, voltage is sent through the white wire from the convertible top lower relay to the convertible top motor. Since the yellow wire of the motor is grounded through the convertible top raise relay, the convertible top motor operates.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

When you press the convertible top switch to raise, ground is sent from terminal 5 of the convertible top switch to terminal 17 of the FEM. This tells the FEM that you want to raise the roof. The FEM then sends a signal through the CAN bus lines to the REM telling the REM to raise the convertible top. The REM then grounds the control side of the convertible top raise relay to energize the relay. Once the relay is energized, voltage is sent through the yellow wire from the convertible top raise relay to the convertible top motor. Since the white wire of the motor is grounded through the convertible lower relay, the convertible top motor operates.

Since you said that the convertible top does not operate, as you see the cause could be the convertible top switch, the raise relay, the lower relay, the FEM, the REM or the wiring. Since you said that you replaced the relays, you can eliminate the relays. I don’t know how you checked the convertible top switch, but if you diagnosed it properly we can eliminate the switch.

You said that you checked the grounds, the grounds that you need to check are; G300 at the right rear vehicle floor, and G301at the left side vehicle floor. If the interior light is working than G301 has to be okay. If the FEM or the REM wasn’t grounded properly, then you would have more problems than just the convertible top not operating.

Since you said that you checked fuses 14 and 31 at the battery junction box in the trunk, that leaves the FEM and the REM. This is where you need a scan tool, preferably one with bi-directional control. When I was at the dealership, I would start by checking for faults in the FEM and the REM and if there no faults present, I would then command the convertible top to raise and lower using the scan tool. Remember if the CAN or Data bus wires were open or shorted, there would be CAN bus faults stored.

As biddle said, the convertible top not functioning is a symptom of a defective FEM, but before you start replacing the FEM or the REM take the vehicle to the dealer, or a repair shop with the proper tools and knowledge to properly diagnose the system.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Since you said that you checked fuses 14 and 31 at the battery junction box in the trunk, that leaves the FEM and the REM. This is where you need a scan tool, preferably one with bi-directional control. When I was at the dealership, I would start by checking for faults in the FEM and the REM and if there no faults present, I would then command the convertible top to raise and lower using the scan tool. Remember if the CAN or

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 20723

One other thing I forgot to mention is the hardtop sense switch. If the sense switch is defective the REM would think that the hardtop was installed, when it was not, and would not allow the convertible top to operate. The sense switch can be checked with a scan tool monitoring the sense switch PID in the Rear Electronic Module.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The signal sent to the FEM from the switch would go through the CPU, meaning if that was the issue there should be other issues related to the FEM functions that were not functioning properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
2004 Thunderbird put the top up but it won’t go down?

Did you unlatch it from the windshield? Also, the car has to be in PARK for the top to operate. Do you hear the motor for the convertible top? Could be a fuse too.

I have used the top many times. I did have it in park and the latch was pulled, but nothing happens. I do hear the motor when I press the up button, but no noise when I push the lower button.

2004 Thunderbird put the top up but it won’t go down?
Please follow the posting prompts and do a short summary of your post in the subject. Just imagine if every post was titled "2004 Thunderbird"

Also, since this is an all Thunderbird site you can omit the make and model from the subject.

I will updated your title now.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Could be the button...

There are also relays, one for up and one for down. You can test the relays by switching them.

I can’t tell which relays are for the top. The 5 amp fuses are okay, but the manual doesn’t show which relays are for the top. The only thing that happens when I press the down button the windows slightly drop and then nothing. Pressing the top up switch you hear the motor.
I guess ill try switching all the relays.

It sounds like the mechanism. You are at a point where I would seek professional help.

I can’t tell which relays are for the top. The 5 amp fuses are okay, but the manual doesn’t show which relays are for the top. The only thing that happens when I press the down button the windows slightly drop and then nothing. Pressing the top up switch you hear the motor.
I guess ill try switching all the relays.
Relay Locations.png

Relay Testing - 1.jpg

Relay Testing - 2.jpg

Wiring Diagram.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The only thing that happens when I press the down button the windows slightly drop and then nothing.

The Intraweb crystal ball points to a possible FEM/REM issue? That is subjective and a disclaimer that I'm not an authority on. But... the switch causing the window twitch indicates the module sees the down selection. Eliminate a bad switch. The FEM interacting with the REM (rear unit) checks for Park and the hardtop presence (via rear defroster connection) before pulling in the relay. If there is any glitch in the data handshake, it will not operate.

A high-end code reader may detect proprietary logged error codes that point to data comms or modules. A basic code reader will not see these codes. If you are electrically comfortable, you can 'jump' or supply a ground to the relay manually operating the motor and lower it. You may simply apply the ground and it will lower as normal. There are no tricky limit switches or electronic monitoring circuits, it's simply clutched so you can't break it. There's a thread on this forum detailing manual top control bypassing the FEM.

Here: https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-raise-lower-switch-question.13360/

The top did momentarily start to go down when holding the switch and someone tapping on the relays. But then it stopped almost all the way, but then would only go back up. Tried switching relays with no luck.
I’ll have to wait till Monday to try again.

Top will not raise. It lowered fine. When I push switch down I hear the motor working but when I hit the switch to raise top I hear nothing. In the trunk I see the convertible top fuse, but I cannot find the raise and lower relays.

I have fuse & relay diagrams and owners manual but they do not indicate which specific relays operate the up and down directions of convertible top. I have read lots of threads, advice, etc., which point to up and down convertible top relays but have been unable to find any relays in diagrams specific to up and down action of convertible top.

I have fuse & relay diagrams and owners manual but they do not indicate which specific relays operate the up and down directions of convertible top. I have read lots of threads, advice, etc., which point to up and down convertible top relays but have been unable to find any relays in diagrams specific to up and down action of convertible top.
There is literally a post here that answers that and even has a graphic. Start reading from post one above.

Back