2003 Thunderbird heated seat module issues need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
Last seen
Hello fellow Thunderbird enthusiasts, I have recently acquired a 2003 Thunderbird and have the following issue, every time my heated seat switch for the drivers side is plugged into the harness behind the center console it drains my battery very slowly when the car is parked overnight, in the morning the battery is at about 10 volts not enough to start, once I un-plugg the switch; no issues runs fine, I swapped the passenger and driver side heated seat switches circuit cards(same issue) so I completely removed the drivers seat, no issues (I am leaning towards the seat having a ground or short) I have not swapped out heated seat modules yet (that is my next step) if that is the problem, does anyone know where I can find the heated seat module besides the dealership? I have so many part numbers on it as follows: 3W1T-14C724-AB 6MXN803A06 0211293 5T8XB5 HEATED SEAT MODULE MOTOROLA, I have googled and searched for this part in every configuration and way, any assistance would be appreciated, Thank you for your time.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Duff:
Not sure I can help, but one other thing to try, is make sure that the rear window defroster is OFF. One of the years had an issue of battery drain if left on after the car was shut off. Ford offered a fix for that.
Just a thought in case it's on the same circuit. It may be worth a look.
I'll see if I can find anything on the heated seat switch.

Duffster: Here's some stuff I found but you need to be technical to understand it:
BATTERY DRAIN DIAGNOSIS—SERVICE TIPS TSB 05-22-9
FORD: LINCOLN:
2002-2005 Thunderbird 2000-2006 LS
This article supersedes TSB
02-9-5 to update the When the ignition key is first shut off and removed,
vehicle model years. the vehicle is exited and the doors are closed, the
electrical system goes into “stand-by” mode, where
ISSUE
the REM and the FEM keep the System Switched
Some vehicles may exhibit excessive electrical Power (SSP) relays activated. After a minimum of
system current draw which could result in a 45 minutes, the REM and FEM will power down to
discharged battery and a no crank condition. prevent battery discharge. Power down mode
occurs when the REM and FEM “time out” and
ACTION
release the ground on all four (4) of the SSP
Use the following Service Information to monitor the relays. The SSP relays are wired in a fashion in
vehicle electrical system for excessive battery which they are either all on or all off. In other
current drain and repair as needed. words, the SSP relays cannot be operated
independent of each other. If power down does not SERVICE INFORMATION

occur, because of a system fault or errant SCP Link
activity, the REM and FEM will remain energized Having a firm grasp on the design and normal
along with the SSP relays and the other electrical operation of the electrical system will aid in properly
devices that they provide power. The REM and diagnosing and repairing any faults with electrical
FEM provide power and ground to devices such as components and/or circuitry.
exterior/interior lighting and many of the body
When the vehicle is at rest (ignition key turned off modules in the vehicle. The Wiring Diagrams
and removed), some amounts of battery current Manual may be referenced for additional information
drain will be present since many of the modules on the SSP relays, the REM and FEM, in Sections
and electronic components in the vehicle require 13 and 59.
this to sustain memory and system monitoring. The
Once the REM and FEM enter power down mode Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Anti-lock Brake
they will not energize the SSP relays until they are Module (ABS), Electronic Automatic Temperature
commanded to “wake up” by one (1) or more of the Control Module (EATC), Front Electronics Module
following commands: (FEM), Rear Electronics Module (REM), Driver Door
Module (DDM), Instrument Cluster Module (ICM), • Key Fob Activity (Any Command)
Roof Opening Panel Module, Heated Seat Module, • Door Ajar (Any Door)
Driver Seat Module, Cell Phone Module and Vehicle
• Luggage Compartment Ajar Switch Emergency Message System Module all have
• Drivers Power Seat Switch power supplied at all times for this purpose. Many
of these modules monitor activity and communicate • Power Tilt/Telescopic Steering Column
with each other through the Standard Corporate • Headlamps/Park Lamps On
Protocol (SCP) Link.
• Key In Ignition
• Key On Ignition
• Anti-Theft Hood Switch
• Brake Pedal Position Switch
• Memory Seat Switch
NOTE:
The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation
determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin
(TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is
available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.

PROOF 25-OCT-05
Copyright
ã 2005 Ford Motor Company 037-2005-1477 037-2005-1477 PAGE 1

There are 10 pages to this info TSB 05-22-9 (Continued), Too lengthy to post. If interested, send me your email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back