2003 Thunderbird Battery Draw Issue | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Thunderbird Battery Draw Issue

• Thread starter Thread starter softbunny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

softbunny

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a 2003 Thunderbird in 2007. Had almost 20,000 miles on it. I'm self employed and don't drive a great deal. 5 miles a day to 20-30 on weekends. Last September my battery died. I had it replaced then it seemed a continual problem. Make sure everything is off. So, my local mechanic suggested I take it to Ford. I did and they didn't find any problem. No drain. Brought home next day wouldn't start again and when I jumped it fuse was blown saw smoke and had it towed. They put a new battery in it. Has been good until this past week. Called the dealer seems clueless about it and I ask him was there a report about the problem? He said not that he knew of. I have an anti theft monitoring system and he said that wasn't an issue. I had read issues about 2005 and needed to be driven more and at least 2 hours to charge battery. Also, getting a battery tender? I live in a condo so that won't work. I'm very frustrated. Seems to happen when its colder too. Does anyone have any wisdom on my dilemma? Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No, I actually have never attempted to put it on. The owner didn't leave the torex tool or tape and I called Ford about tool and they said it would cost around $80.00. Seems like it could be an ordeal.

I never use the rear defrost since it is a parking garage. I drove it yesterday about 16 miles 2 different trips. It started at 6:00 am this morning and then I drove this afternoon. Live in Atlanta and it's going down to 17 degrees tonight. I have a jump box but, has not worked. I think it has too many bells and whistles, light, pump, outlet for making coffee while you are jumping the car plus inflating the tire. Someone told me to get just a bare bones jump box. No frills.

Feel like a have a ghost in the car. I told the dealer about the 2005 models having this issue and he just said really? Think I'm writing Ford a letter. Customer no service.

Thank you for replying.😕

Softbunny: Maybe this will help.
Service centers should have books or on line access to Ford. There is a Tech Service Bulletin, TSB 05-22-9, that tells them how to diagnose a battery drain. SECIFICALLY,for 2002-2005 Thunderbirds. So there is obviously a known problem.
If you are unsatisfied with your Ford dealer, as others have been, many have changed to Lincoln dealers - A point of reference for you; most of your drive train is Lincoln LS so Lincoln dealers are more famliar then the Ford dealers with the TBirds. Note: there were very few, 68000 TBirds sold over 4 years.

I did some searching using the "search function above" and found these threads which you should read carefully:

I have in word, a copy of this document. If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy - But the dealer should have it and it is really technical so I don't even understand it.

Finally, since you had the battery replaced, you should check your paperwork to see that the correct battery was installed. There is only one part number that should be on your sales slip. The only one I know of is from Ford because it is vented is: 2002-2005. battery, 100 month wet. Number BXT66-650 CCA . Max 36 month Free Replacement

Good luck and keep us informed

Last edited by a moderator:
George, thank you for this information. I'm pretty sure I have the correct vented battery. The dealer replaced it twice and it was under warranty. I'll double check part number.

Think I might try to state the case with Ford one more time when I get TSB. If it is a known problem they should work with me on cost of repair I feel. I had the coil issue and told them I would never buy another Ford again especially when it's an issue among many. Two weeks later I received the 100,000 mile warranty on coils. My bird has 34,000 miles now. I love it but, I'm frustrated with service. Good thing I don't treat my clients like that. I wouldn't be in good shape either.

Thanks again!

Give that dealer your best shot. They cannot deny a TSB which comes from Ford.
Two back up plans you may have is Fored District Rep or just go to another dealer, like I said about Lincoln. (There are fewer of them around though.

George, thank you for your quick response. I'll give it my best shot. Might just call Lincoln and see what they say and then go to Ford with their info and TSB. Keep you posted.

Battery Draw Issue

I'll put in my 5 cents worth.
Go to the Lincoln dealer. They know all about the battery, 'cause they replaced one on my wife's '05. (44K miles)
I thought the battery that came on it should have lasted longer, but, anyway, they were speedy and reasonable.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back