2003 blower will not shut off using the off button

A

Allyn

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My Blower motor will not shut off using the off button. I sent the Climate Control Panel off for repair, came back and still has the same problem. I then purchased a used panel that was described as tested and working. I installed it today and still have the same problem. I then thought maybe it is just an issue with the blower motor control relay or the blower speed control and not the Climate Control Panel. Got a new blower motor control relay at Auto Zone but I cannot find where the relay is located to try this fix out.. Is there anyone out there who knows the location on the car where I will find this relay? Does anyone have any insight into this issue with the blower motor control they are willing to pass on that would help me fix my problem. Any help greatly appreciated!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Does this help?

Blower motor relay RH engine compartment
View attachment 31501
That certainly helped. I put my new relay in, but to no avail. the blower still comes on as soon as I start the car. I can adjust the fan speed, I can run the ac (good cold air) or I can turn it off. I can change the duct positions alright. I just cannot get the blower to not run when the ignition is on. Maybe it is still a Climate Control module problem??

My Blower motor will not shut off using the off button. I sent the Climate Control Panel off for repair, came back and still has the same problem. I then purchased a used panel that was described as tested and working. I installed it today and still have the same problem. I then thought maybe it is just an issue with the blower motor control relay or the blower speed control and not the Climate Control Panel. Got a new blower motor control relay at Auto Zone but I cannot find where the relay is located to try this fix out.. Is there anyone out there who knows the location on the car where I will find this relay? Does anyone have any insight into this issue with the blower motor control they are willing to pass on that would help me fix my problem. Any help greatly appreciated!!
I have a 2004 and have the same issue. I took it to the dealership and they quoted me over $2000 to repair! They have to take the whole dashboard apart to get to the part that needs to be fixed. I am just dealing with it. I turn the blower to the feet if I dont want it blowing in my face.

Very interesting work around. He didn't mention how he reattached the piece he removed though.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my time comes to do this and I hope it will be a while I'll try to leave the old one in place and relocate the new one in the plastic housing somewhere where there is air flow to cool it down.

Hello Allyn,
Had the same or similar problem with 2003 T-bird. When any of the climate control modes was on, the fan was also on blowing on high. Could not adjust speed or turn it off using any climate control panel buttons or temperature settings. Had to shut the car off to get the fan to stop. So drove with the convertible top open so we could hear the radio. Then it got hot and we needed AC again.

The Chilton online manual for 2003 TBird shows the blower motor relay is relay #10 in the under hood, Auxiliary Junction Box.

I checked this relay while troubleshooting my car and the relay was functioning normally.

Next, I attempted to remove the blower motor speed control (resistor), but it was extremely difficult to access. Location is passenger side up under the dash behind the blower motor. I removed the blower motor and was able to see a connector. I think there is a bolt on the engine side firewall that would loosen up the heater plenum (terminology? the plastic box with the air intake and circulation door(s), etc.) enough to get to the resistor (would have needed a long socket to loosen it). Afraid to go further and break something, I punted this to our mechanic. It's been working normally since the replacement.

Thanks for your contribution to this issue. Did you, by any chance, ask your mechanic if he was able to unscrew the bolt you mentioned and move the plenum out of the way enough to get access to the resistor and change it?

Thanks for your contribution to this issue. Did you, by any chance, ask your mechanic if he was able to unscrew the bolt you mentioned and move the plenum out of the way enough to get access to the resistor and change it?
Hi Allyn, Great question, especially after seeing the videos cutting the blower housing to get to the resistor. I'll give him a call and ask. Just had this repair last month, so I'm sure he'll remember. I'll post up when I have a response.

Checked with my mechanic on their procedure. They seriously thought about cutting the blower housing. Recall the problem is that the whole AC/heater blower case "box" is up against the firewall.
First, under the dash on the (passenger) door side of the footwell wall they said there is a control module, not sure if BCM or ECM (I'm not looking at the manual) and a horizontal bracket that blocks access to the resistor. They removed this item.
He recalled three "studs" going through the firewall that hold the blower case in place. My earlier note mentioned one such bolt. It was necessary to loosen all three to be able to "pry" the blower case away from the firewall enough to slide out the resistor.
Finally, he mentioned that there were a couple of other connections or obstructions to remove (vents, wires, linkages, etc.) to be able to move the blower case enough. He didn't say if they removed the glove box and I forgot to ask.

Checked with my mechanic on their procedure. They seriously thought about cutting the blower housing. Recall the problem is that the whole AC/heater blower case "box" is up against the firewall.
First, under the dash on the (passenger) door side of the footwell wall they said there is a control module, not sure if BCM or ECM (I'm not looking at the manual) and a horizontal bracket that blocks access to the resistor. They removed this item.
He recalled three "studs" going through the firewall that hold the blower case in place. My earlier note mentioned one such bolt. It was necessary to loosen all three to be able to "pry" the blower case away from the firewall enough to slide out the resistor.
Finally, he mentioned that there were a couple of other connections or obstructions to remove (vents, wires, linkages, etc.) to be able to move the blower case enough. He didn't say if they removed the glove box and I forgot to ask.
Great information,

Great information Bill. I really appreciate getting it. Gives me hope that I can do the same thing. Would be easier I'm sure with the glove box out. I'll give it a go first day that this heat backs off a bit.

Back