2002 T Bird fuel pump replacement.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Did u change both pumps? I had to buy the drivers side fuel pump from Ford. All of the replacements were different. The right side was no problem to find in aftermarket. Hard part was to remove the hoses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only changed the passengers side pump, that is what it took to get the car to start
again. I have no idea if the drivers side even works. If you never let your gas tank get
below 1/4 tank do not think left pump makes a difference.

Glad I changed my fuel pump myself and was not hard, just tight space.

Returning from a trip and heading for Costco gas, I ran my 2004 bird for 20 miles with the Low Fuel light on. Does that mean that the xfr pump has to be okay? Thx

You can easily travel the 20 miles you mentioned as the low fuel light is supposed to come on at about 2-3 remaining gallons & at 17-20 miles per gallon that's about 30-40 miles of travel.
Is there other things happening that lead you to think you are having fuel pump troubles?

Hopefully someone can answer this - on the left side (drivers side) I have the unit out of the car - my question is where is the pump and how do you change it. I have a new fuel pump but what I have in hand I don't see on the orginal.
The fuel pump is
behind the passenger seat under the inspection cover.there is a helper pump behind the driver seat which I think you have accessed. I believe that pump actually works to get the fuel from the driver side of the tank over to the fuel pump side passenger side.

While the manual says pinch the tabs and pull straight up on the lines, this may or may not work. Even with wire wrapped around the fittings I could not get the fuel pump pipes to extract from the pump housing. Even on the bench,
(after I cut the lines, they were kinked anyway), I pulled with large pliers and they would not come out. I guess they were heated on by age and heat. So I have to buy lines and module to repair. Ben
To remove stuck tubing, twist slightly with pliers right over the point of attachment.. Usually it loosens and then can be removed. Cheers

You can easily travel the 20 miles you mentioned as the low fuel light is supposed to come on at about 2-3 remaining gallons & at 17-20 miles per gallon that's about 30-40 miles of travel.
Is there other things happening that lead you to think you are having fuel pump troubles?
No problem, just asking if I can assume the transfer pump is working since I did not run out of gas.

That is the pump I bought some time ago, but have never installed. When I replaced my passengers
side pump, I never did the drivers side. Do not know if it works, have never driven below 1/4 tank.

Is there a trick to fishing the fuel lines over to the drives side??

Nevermind. I used a helper and got it.

Last edited:
Im working on a 2002 TBird and the fuel pump fuse keeps blowing. Relay clicks then after about 3 seconds the fuse pops. I’ve read what I could search out on the forum. I see that it’s maybe the fuel pump, but I guess it was running and the owner was turning the steering wheel back and forth. Said the steering was super stiff then the car stopped running. Blew the fuel pump fuse. Is there a module/relay or something that could have caused both issues? I hate to just throw parts at things. Suggestions?

Im working on a 2002 TBird and the fuel pump fuse keeps blowing. Relay clicks then after about 3 seconds the fuse pops. I’ve read what I could search out on the forum. I see that it’s maybe the fuel pump, but I guess it was running and the owner was turning the steering wheel back and forth. Said the steering was super stiff then the car stopped running. Blew the fuel pump fuse. Is there a module/relay or something that could have caused both issues? I hate to just throw parts at things. Suggestions?
If you search the forum, you should now know you likley have and FEM problem and a fuel pump problem.

My fuel pump looks like it is shot. Started car one day, ran for 10 seconds, then died. Fuse for fuel
pump blew. Replaced fuse but no pump. Checked fuel pressure fitting under hood, and no pressure.

Have opened up area behind seat to expose fuel pump area. Anyone have any hints on how to remove
ring that secures fuel pump.

MODERATOR NOTE: You can purchase the main passenger side replacement fuel pump entire assembly here-
2002 model- https://amzn.to/2PCfnOs
2003-05 models- https://amzn.to/2US5mOf
Optionally you can also replace the 2002-2005 drivers side pump https://amzn.to/2PHnbhT
You will also need to replace your fuel filter https://amzn.to/2GMQhsg
Fuel Pump removal tool also very helpful! https://amzn.to/2J7w5UO

View attachment 3703
Regarding Fuel Pump, after buying my 2003 with 60000 miles on it several years ago the first thing I did was change the fuel filter. It was a simple and inexpensive job but; a clogged or old filter of course places great strain on the fuel pumps, so an ounce of prevention may save a possible pump problem; my old filter was seemingly quite contaminated but then 15 years is a long time span for an original filter; my 03 filter was located on the driver’s side firewall and really not a difficult job. Best, Ron H. Tequesta, Florida

I'm sorry to say but the fuel filter on the Retro is up inside the driver's side front wheel well. Access is only by removing the fender liner which is made even easier by removing the wheel/tire. Once the liner is removed the filter is right there in its own little recess in the fender and easily changed.

You are very correct in the statement a little simple maintenance goes a long long way.

I only changed the passengers side pump, that is what it took to get the car to start
again. I have no idea if the drivers side even works. If you never let your gas tank get
below 1/4 tank do not think left pump makes a difference.

Glad I changed my fuel pump myself and was not hard, just tight space.

Pass side is the "real" pump. It's the one with actual electrical pump. The drivers side "pump" is a passive transfer pump. The primary pump, pumps fuel through the passive pump. The design of the passive pump then causes fuel to be sucked up from the tank and transferred to the other side of the tank. Both units have fuel level floats on them and the fuel gauge electronics use the signals from both floats to determine how much fuel is in the tank. If your gauge has a full range of motion then at the very least both floats are working and it's likely the driver's side pump is fine since pretty much everything else on that pump is plastic and no other moving parts.

Hey guys, I recently had the pass side fuel pump go bad in my car. The car ran until the driver side of the tank was empty. I removed the interior of the car, then removed & replaced both fuel pumps. Now, the car will not start. I have no juice at either electrical connector. I have checked the fuse behind the pass kick panel, the relay & diode in the trunk, & the rollover switch behind the drivers kick panel. Does anybody know what I’m missing or has anybody experienced this?? Probably sounds stupid, but does having the seats & seatbelts out of the car have anything to do with it?? Thanks ahead of time for any help

Back