2002 Soft Top Convertible repair | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Soft Top Convertible repair

• Thread starter Thread starter Topcat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Reaction score
The stitching has come away from the window near the bottom and is letting the rain in. I went to the dealership and they said they couldn't fix it but could replace it!
Seems a bit much for a 4 inch tear. Anyone out there have any experience or suggestions to get this repaired? I did try a hot glue gun which worked for about a month but then reopened.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The stitching has come away from the window near the bottom and is letting the rain in. I went to the dealership and they said they couldn't fix it but could replace it!
Seems a bit much for a 4 inch tear. Anyone out there have any experience or suggestions to get this repaired? I did try a hot glue gun which worked for about a month but then reopened.

Seems to be the way of the world now, if something breaks, you buy a new one!

convertible top repair that works

Hi I live in florida and the top shrunk
At the top shop they wanted 1500 to replace it.
I wanted them to just reglue the glass but they said
that is only done at the factory with special equipment
Yeah right In the old days I could get a top shop to
make a custom insert (which I did on a 54 ford convertible)
But it seems that all they do now is buy premade and install
Anyway a premade Top sill run about 5 - 600 online
then the task of installation (which I do not look forward to doing)
I tried all the glues you can think of trim adhesive
sealants etc. without much luck Finally I found a
Hard top for 900 bucks (problem solved for now)
I still wish to repair my top and through a great deal of research
I now have what I think is the answer A superstrong glue that
will bond almost anythisng includeing glass - fabric
I will have to get some black top material to make up for the
space since the top shrunk But I am sure this will work
I have tested this gluing aluminum cans end to end and just
today I repaird a vinyl awning that had shrunk and the stitching
came apart by bonding the vinyl to the metal frame.
Amazingly it actually worked. Maybe there are others but the one
I used is called Rhino glue. http://www.rhinoglue.com/
they call it the last glue you will ever need and I now believe them.
I did do a search on the last glue and it seems there are others
http://www.thelastglue.com/ which I have not tried but may be
similar
Good luck

TopCat:

I saw where one owner had the problem and posted this:

“I just got finished gluing the top to the rear window bottom edge. It separated bit by bit and water would collect under the top between the glass and the top.
Used Permatex Perma Oxy - a 5 min Epoxy. I was sweating bullets over this job because if I spilled some on the top or it dried to quick I would have a mess on my hands. I tried a small spot on a board to see how fast it would set up and dry. It set up in about 3 1/2 min.!! I had to work quickly when I mixed the whole tube. I used Saran Wrap to protect the paint surface, just in case to guard against over spill (or smear). It's a done deal and it came out great.”

So TOPCAT, how did it come out????😕

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back