2002-2005 Knee Bolster repair

edward301
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Many of our T Birds have cracked plastic tabs on the knee bolster. A few days ago I decided to repair mine and used the plastic welding gun I bought months ago for 29 dollars. Worked great should have no problems anymore.

I fixed the recessed tab enclosures, and not pictured added new plastic tabs on the broken tab ends.

The only warning do not press in the red-hot metal welding rods to far, or they will come out the other side. Press in just far
enough so they are sunk in the plastic.

knee bolster repair.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Many of our T Birds have cracked plastic tabs on the knee bolster. A few days ago I decided to repair mine and used the plastic welding gun I bought months ago for 29 dollars. Worked great should have no problems anymore.

I fixed the recessed tab enclosures, and not pictured added new plastic tabs on the broken tab ends.

The only warning do not press in the red-hot metal welding rods to far, or they will come out the other side. Press in just far
enough so they are sunk in the plastic.

View attachment 30765
What type of fasteners held the panel in place? are they pressure pins or threaded bolts? (trying to replace the mirror adjustment switch)

Back