2002 Oil in spark plug wells

Threebird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I changed my leaky valve cover gaskets recently...I was sent a video...it was a Lincoln ls but it was close enough for my needs. The guy on the video was unable to remove the oil from the spark plug wells...he said the oil would eventually "fry" the cop's. I used an old window cleaner spray bottle...removed the sprayer n stuck the tube down into the well n simply pumped it into the bottle...it was trash anyway. I still had to use paper towels n a pair of extra long needle nose pliers...I don't think there is any way to get them cleaner...but hey who knows. The guy asked if anyone knew a way to get the oil out...here you are.Threebird

Attachments

• 20190131_153728_Film3.jpg
    20190131_153728_Film3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
My 02 Bird once again has leaked oil into the spark plug tube. 61k miles and this will be the second time. Looking for the best valve cover gasket set. Sometime back it was not recommended to use the Ford OEM and my Ford dealers said the same. Trying to get something that will last 60k miles. I am the first owner of this Bird

My 02 Bird once again has leaked oil into the spark plug tube. 61k miles and this will be the second time. Looking for the best valve cover gasket set. Sometime back it was not recommended to use the Ford OEM and my Ford dealers said the same. Trying to get something that will last 60k miles. I am the first owner of this Bird
I used the cheap ones I found on Amazon...USE SILICONE BOTH SIDES...I know it says you don't need or maybe even shouldn't use silicone but it really does need some...both sides...and it won't hurt anything. I let the silicone dry overnight when I put the gasket into the covers. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN %/\*€£ plastic valve covers anyhow. I lost one of the "loose" fasteners (there is one on each cover) and they are dealer only...$8 each and only sold in 2 packs. If anyone looses one I have an extra one. Good luck

My 2002 Thunderbird is "at the Ford spa" for this exact thing! I followed the advice of one of the awesome members... replacing coils, found oil, used a spray bottle tube to bail out the oil, stopped, closed everything back up... Velvet got a "Grand Pubah" ride ( nose first, as to not blow in the back window" to the Ford dealer... where I told them, what codes I had, which cylinders had oil and to change the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs... they had "problems" with the hydraulic water pump... they got s code ( but I never got that code before)... so I told them to replace the pump and save me the old pump... she was supposed to be ready on Wednesday... but now it's Friday and no phone call... I was doing "visitation" but decided to wait until they call me... it's driving me crazy... I think this like a therapy car! Not being able to drive it for 2 weeks is making me feel anxious! I hope they do her repairs right...

Attachments

• IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3613.JPG
    IMG_3613.JPG
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 0
Forgot to mention a 2005 50th anniversary edition was " at the Ford spa" at the same time... guess it caused quite the time in the shop - people were admiring both the cars... so much so that awesome Nate, Velvet's shop man, said he's locking her in the shop each night. Got a picture... before I got banished for giving Velvet a detail bath... she had bird poop and dust... while she waited for her new pump...ok, so I'm obsessed!
My 2002 Thunderbird is "at the Ford spa" for this exact thing! I followed the advice of one of the awesome members... replacing coils, found oil, used a spray bottle tube to bail out the oil, stopped, closed everything back up... Velvet got a "Grand Pubah" ride ( nose first, as to not blow in the back window" to the Ford dealer... where I told them, what codes I had, which cylinders had oil and to change the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs... they had "problems" with the hydraulic water pump... they got s code ( but I never got that code before)... so I told them to replace the pump and save me the old pump... she was supposed to be ready on Wednesday... but now it's Friday and no phone call... I was doing "visitation" but decided to wait until they call me... it's driving me crazy... I think this like a therapy car! Not being able to drive it for 2 weeks is making me feel anxious! I hope they do her repairs right...[/Q

Forgot to mention a 2005 50th anniversary edition was " at the Ford spa" at the same time... guess it caused quite the time in the shop - people were admiring both the cars... so much so that awesome Nate, Velvet's shop man, said he's locking her in the shop each night. Got a picture... before I got banished for giving Velvet a detail bath... she had bird poop and dust... while she waited for her new pump...ok, so I'm obsessed!
I have replace the suspension and as mentioned the valve cover gaskets once before. Now the clock spring and one door actuator.

Back