2002 Missing out and engine light on | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Missing out and engine light on

• Thread starter Thread starter Enfield
  • Start date Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This is a common problem with Retro Birds
It seams more so with the 02's....which I own!

It sounds like the coil on plug system (COPS) are defective. They are available here https://amzn.to/2Rfp5Zd and reasonably priced for a set of 8. Do check the codes but if this is the problem replacing all 8 is the best way to go. The symptoms you describe leaves me with little doubt of the problem. Mileage isn't necessarily the problem, the usual cause is either oil leaking into the plug ports or age of the coil rubbers cracking and shorting out. In my case (twice) my car went into "limp home mode" at 20 MPH. Tighten down or replace rocker cover gaskets if leaking. In my case I had oil leaks the first time 32,000 and year's later 60,000 just dried out and broken rubbers the second.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews on the Reader. Was looking for someone who might give me some direction on a common issue. Thanks though
You need to get your codes read whether you do it at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto or purchase an OBD reader that meets your satisfaction. Right now you are playing the guessing game. Part of troubleshooting a car is having an OBD reader, there are others out there. Regardless of what anyone guesses, it's exactly that, a guess because you have not read the check engine codes.

Last edited:
Back