2002- Lubing Convertible Top mechanism

Transporter

Transporter

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We have owned our 2002 Tbird for ages. It is the better half's daily driver. We live where it is sunny and warm, so unless it is raining, the top goes down.

The top is kind of sticking/hanging up at two places as it closes. Do the hinges/joints need lubricated? If yes, where and with what?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

We have owned our 2002 Tbird for ages. It is the better half's daily driver. We live where it is sunny and warm, so unless it is raining, the top goes down.

The top is kind of sticking/hanging up at two places as it closes. Do the hinges/joints need lubricated? If yes, where and with what?

I use a silicone spray on all of the joints and hinge points. I place a rag under the joint when I spray them. I stop the top about half way down just to get access. After operating the top a free times, I wipe off and excess. I cannot get to all of the points but it sure seems to close much smoother.

Got my ‘02 3 years ago. Wiped all rubber gaskets with silicone spray, hit all joints with G96 gun clp using a rag to prevent stains, then white lithium grease on all moving part joints. NO NOISE

Please include the model year(s) in subject on future posts. Added 2002 for you.
12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

I use Teflon bicycle chain spray (Ace Hardware) on the pivot points and ONLY Aerospace 303 on rubber gaskets and weatherstripping.

Back