2002 false temperature reading | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 false temperature reading

• Thread starter Thread starter Hopsing
  • Start date Start date
H
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
my 02 t-bird temp warning randomly shows overheating. Turning engine off and immediately restarting everything goes back to normal. Scanning with my Solis Pro shows no codes and all temperature sensors showing correct readings. WHATS UP WITH THIS! HELP

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It could be air and you just have to burp the system. There is a valve next to the Degas bottle that you can open. I had a different problem in my 02. The pcm tells the fluid control switch to spin up the fan. Mine went bad. Once the Ford dealer replace mine, no more overheating.

I had the same problem few years ago on vacation and after a day at the local Ford dealer they diagnosed that the thermostat was getting stuck/failing since the dash indicator was sporadic in coming on/off. They replaced the approx $30 part and charged me over $900 because of the day and a half researching it. When I questioned the charges they explained that the high fee was because of the labor involved in troubleshooting the circuit as the reading the ODB port as well as the physical activity rerouting the cables and actually replacing the thermostat. Two days total spent troubleshooting it, wasn’t a good vacation!

Similarly I occasionally get the low fuel warning when car is full .. not often, but on occasion

my 02 t-bird temp warning randomly shows overheating. Turning engine off and immediately restarting everything goes back to normal. Scanning with my Solis Pro shows no codes and all temperature sensors showing correct readings. WHATS UP WITH THIS! HELP
I had this problem in my 2003 t-bird. There was an air bubble in the cooling system. It’s messy, but you will need to burp the system by opening the cap on the radiator. Also, if you notice, there is a vent tube with an adjustable valve that is located near the brake master cylinder. This was meant to purge the cooling system.