2002 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Thermostat Housing Water Pumps

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
If you are having trouble with your cooling system on your 2002, 2003, 2004 or 2005 Ford Thunderbird here are some useful parts used in the repairs. Note, a 2002 Thunderbird has a different thermostat housing than 2003-2004-2005. The water pump & thermostat are the same. You can upgrade the thermostat in a 2002 Thunderbird to aluminum. I believe only plastic is available for 2003-2005 Thunderbirds. The plastic thermostat housings often need to be replaced every 5 - 7 years.
Several people have reported issues with the paper gaskets on the aftermarket water pumps. The water pump itself is okay, but you need the upgraded gasket sold separately.

2002-2005 Thermostat-
Purchase Link- https://amzn.to/2Y7ccEl

thermostat.jpg

2002 Thermostat Housing Kit Assembly Aluminum Upgrade Kit-
Purchase link click here
Please note, this is an "unofficial upgrade" from the cheap plastic bell housing that member @Wfg3 discovered. The seller does not show the part as compatible, but it works as noted in his post here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...work-in-2002-2005-thunderbird.8852/post-56177

jaghousing.jpg

2002 Thermostat Housing Kit Assembly (Plastic)
Purchase Link- https://amzn.to/2MZYKMp

Dorma-902-915.jpg

2003-2004-2005 Dorman 902-903 Thermostat Housing Kit Assembly- (aluminum upgrade is not available to our knowledge)
Purchase Link- https://amzn.to/2YElNBR

OEM Motorcraft Part 3W4Z8548AD (Recommended when available)- Purchase Link

All available thermostat housings, some include coolant reservoir- Purchase Link

Housing Gasket (If Need) Amazon Purchase Link - Ebay Purchase Link
See this page for more gasket details

dorman-902-903-housing-kit.jpg

Coolant Overflow Tank for 5W4Z8A080AA
Purchase Link

The Motorcraft factory tank is over 200.00! Purchase link
5W4Z8A080AA.jpg

WATER PUMPS.
The water pump and the gasket is the same on 2002-2005, but the thermostat housing is not! Fel-Pro currently erroneously states this is for 2003-2005, but it will also fit the 2002! We have contacted them to get them to update their database.

2002-2005 Pro Gasket- This is better than the paper gaskets included with the water pumps
Amazon Purchase Link
Ebay Purchase Link

2003-2005-pro-gasket.jpg

Motorcraft PW448 2002 2003 2004 2005 Water Pump OEM-
eBay purchase Link or Amazon purchase link
PW448-8501.jpg

Aftermarket 2002-2003-2004-2005 Water Pump (don't use the paper gasket)
Purchase Link Amazon- https://amzn.to/2N0h3ks or eBay purchase link

Airtex-AW4124.jpg

2003-2005 Water Pump + Plastic Thermostat Housing (Housing won't fit 2002)
Purchase Link

2003-2005-water-pump-kit.jpg

2002 Ford Thunderbird Radiator - Ebay Link
Hydraulic Cooling fan which was only in 2002- Ebay Link
2003-2004-2005 Ford Thunderbird Radiator- Ebay Link
2003-radiator.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a 2002, this is the only year that has a Hydraulic Cooling Fan! Sometimes these cars will overheat when the Air Conditioning is on or other symptoms. Many times this is because there is a solenoid on the hydraulic fan pump that the pcm controls to speed up the cooling fan,
they do go bad after time, and miles.

These are hard to find and most people get them on ebay!

Hydraulic Fan Pump Actuator Solenoid Lincoln LS Thunderbird NEWTO OEM XW4Z3783CA

Interchange Numbers: YW4Z-8C628-BA , YW4Z8C628BA , XW4Z3783CA

Ebay Purchase Link:

You can read a related discussion here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-overheats-with-air-conditioning-running.12252/

XW4Z3783CA-Solenoid.jpg

Last edited:
In the ongoing effort to stop overheating we replaced the plastic thermostat housing with the Jaguar aluminum. In the process we discovered a chip in the extension just under the hose clamp. It's holding for now but would like to replace it. We purchased the Ford Manual DVD and searched everywhere online and can't find a part number. The number stamped on the part itself is related to the radiator. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!IMG_1284.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I search every Blog, troubleshooter page, info, manual, etc. I could find to try to fix the overheating problem that seems inherent with these birds. The solution I've come up with involves a lot of other people's ideas conglomerated into one. I take no credit here.

Here's what I decided to do:

Flush cooling system. Mine was totally clean. Not a drop of rust or corrosion.

Fill with 50/50 coolant, distilled water while car is off. Filling as much as possible in Radiator and overflow container.

Reinstall cap on radiator.

Start car.

Turn on heater, full blast, high heat.

Idle car.

Watch level in overflow. When it goes down add more coolant and try to keep minimum 50% antifreeze. The higher proportion of antifreeze the higher the boiling point of coolant. Read directions on coolant container. My opinion is to increase to 75/25 coolant to water since these cars run hot. It should raise boiling temp. to 265. READ DIRECTIONS ON CONTAINER.

When coolant level in overflow stops going down, put on a glove and squeeze the hose to the left of the radiator. Continue doing so. You should see bubbles coming up in OFC and you should see level of coolant go down in OFC. You are purging the air from the system. Put in more coolant. Keep the level where you can see it even though it's above MAX fill line. You have to see if the air is being purged.

When bubbles stop, run idle up to 2k for a few minutes.

Check coolant level.

Squeeze hose to see if air will come out.

Run car for 15 minutes with OFC cap off.

Turn off car.

PUT ADDITIONAL"o" RING IN OFC CAP!!!!!

Put cap on, let engine cool.

After engine completely cools check coolant level in OFC. If it is below MAX line add more.

With cap on OFC squeeze hose. If bubbles show up repeat steps.

It worked for me after struggling for a month and having the 'Bird overheat and get me stuck three times trying all different solutions. This finally worked. No more "bubbling" in OFC that looks like the coolant is boiling. No more overheating.

I hope it works for you.

Here's a video with some coolant system burping / bleeding tips on the "cousin car' Lincoln LS. Would be great for a member to make a Thunderbird specific video and send to us to add to our YouTube channel!

My 2003 T-BIRD is Overheating. I put it in a local shop that normally does good work. They said the Water pump was leaking. So I had them replace it. They also replaced the thermostat and housing.. Well it didn't take long and it Overheated and does so within 4 or 5 miles. I'm thinking the electric fan, it's fuse, it's relay or switch. I know the fan is expensive, like $1200, so hopefully its one of the other things. Any ideas what else it could be? Thanks in advance. Tom

If you are having trouble with your cooling system on your 2002, 2003, 2004 or 2005 Ford Thunderbird here are some useful parts used in the repairs. Note, a 2002 Thunderbird has a different thermostat housing than 2003-2004-2005. The water pump & thermostat are the same. You can upgrade the thermostat in a 2002 Thunderbird to aluminum. I believe only plastic is available for 2003-2005 Thunderbirds. The plastic thermostat housings often need to be replaced every 5 - 7 years.
Several people have reported issues with the paper gaskets on the aftermarket water pumps. The water pump itself is okay, but you need the upgraded gasket sold separately.

2002-2005 Thermostat-
Purchase Link- https://amzn.to/2Y7ccEl

View attachment 12235

2002 Thermostat Housing Kit Assembly Aluminum Upgrade Kit-
Purchase link click here
Please note, this is an "unofficial upgrade" from the cheap plastic bell housing that member @Wfg3 discovered. The seller does not show the part as compatible, but it works as noted in his post here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...work-in-2002-2005-thunderbird.8852/post-56177

View attachment 12238

2002 Thermostat Housing Kit Assembly (Plastic)
Purchase Link- https://amzn.to/2MZYKMp

View attachment 12239

2003-2004-2005 Dorman 902-903 Thermostat Housing Kit Assembly- (aluminum upgrade is not available to our knowledge)
Purchase Link- https://amzn.to/2YElNBR

OEM Motorcraft Part 3W4Z8548AD (Recommended when available)- Purchase Link

All available thermostat housings, some include coolant reservoir- Purchase Link

Housing Gasket (If Need) Amazon Purchase Link - Ebay Purchase Link
See this page for more gasket details

View attachment 12234

Coolant Overflow Tank for 5W4Z8A080AA
Purchase Link

The Motorcraft factory tank is over 200.00! Purchase link
View attachment 12926

WATER PUMPS.
The water pump and the gasket is the same on 2002-2005, but the thermostat housing is not!

2002-2005 Pro Gasket- This is better than the paper gaskets included with the water pumps
Purchase Link

View attachment 12240

Motorcraft PW448 2002 2003 2004 2005 Water Pump OEM-
eBay purchase Link or Amazon purchase link
View attachment 12242

Aftermarket 2002-2003-2004-2005 Water Pump (don't use the paper gasket)
Purchase Link Amazon- https://amzn.to/2N0h3ks or eBay purchase link

View attachment 12243

2003-2005 Water Pump + Plastic Thermostat Housing (Housing won't fit 2002)
Purchase Link

View attachment 12241

2002 Ford Thunderbird Radiator - Ebay Link
Hydraulic Cooling fan which was only in 2002- Ebay Link
2003-2004-2005 Ford Thunderbird Radiator- Ebay Link
View attachment 12451
My 03 had head problems, they were shaved and fixed, then the Fan and sensor were replaced and then the thermostat

Hello, i dont know anything about cars but i am pretty handy . My girls tbird in -4degree weather started idling really high if you didnt hold the brakes it would just pull forward .it sat for 4 monthstill spring So i took the carb apart cleaned it and it started idling and running great . Let it run in driveway for an hour . First time i took it for a ride not even a mile from the house it shot up all the way overheating like instantly. So i pullwd over and had it towed . I changed the thermostat and took itfor a ride it took alot longer but eventually got hot but if i turned the heat on it wiuld cool off . Wjen i parked it you could hear the antifreeze bubbling. I took the water pump apart and the blades look brand new . So my question is before i go and spend money on a new actuator that seems to fix everyones problem does anyone have any other thoughts . Because my f150 is not running right now and we are struggling a bit . So i dont want to buy any unnecessary parts . I wish i could take it to a shop just cant affoed it eight now and we desperately need a vehicle. Thank you for any input

Hello, i dont know anything about cars but i am pretty handy . My girls tbird in -4degree weather started idling really high if you didnt hold the brakes it would just pull forward .it sat for 4 monthstill spring So i took the carb apart cleaned it and it started idling and running great . Let it run in driveway for an hour . First time i took it for a ride not even a mile from the house it shot up all the way overheating like instantly. So i pullwd over and had it towed . I changed the thermostat and took itfor a ride it took alot longer but eventually got hot but if i turned the heat on it wiuld cool off . Wjen i parked it you could hear the antifreeze bubbling. I took the water pump apart and the blades look brand new . So my question is before i go and spend money on a new actuator that seems to fix everyones problem does anyone have any other thoughts . Because my f150 is not running right now and we are struggling a bit . So i dont want to buy any unnecessary parts . I wish i could take it to a shop just cant affoed it eight now and we desperately need a vehicle. Thank you for any input
Make sure the system is bled properly using the instructions above. I assume you cleaned the throttle body since new cars have no carburetor. Use the search page and read what others have done. Search for Actuator, overheating etc. Overheating is caused by various issues, but yes, the Actuator can be the culprit on occasion for a 2002, but not always.

See- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-overheats-with-air-conditioning-running.12252/

Also, once it's running, strongly suggest selling and getting something practical for a daily driver. These cars are hard to find parts for and if you wreck it, you are not going to find body parts easily either!

Back