1962 To Thermostat or Not To Thermostat? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1962 To Thermostat or Not To Thermostat?

• Thread starter Thread starter superjeannine28
  • Start date Start date
superjeannine28

superjeannine28

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I bought a 1962 bird, it overheated. The mechanic said it was because there was no thermostat installed, so he put one in. Overheated again, (but probably because of a ruptured hose, not sure if it was because of the thermostat too), and another mechanic said to take the thermostat out... Can anybody give me an answer on whether or not I should have a thermostat installed on a 1962 bird? I've never heard of a car without one, but I don't have much experience with classic cars.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You should have a thermostat in the cooling system. You need to find out why it's overheating,it's not the thermostat. Possible the radiator needs cleaning or replaced, the waterpump may be an issue. Engine timing can help with heating issues. Is there a fan shroud? There is an issue but you still need a thermostat. Back in the 20's and 30's when the radiators were oversize you could get away with not running a thermostat.

You should have a thermostat in the cooling system. You need to find out why it's overheating,it's not the thermostat. Possible the radiator needs cleaning or replaced, the waterpump may be an issue. Engine timing can help with heating issues. Is there a fan shroud? There is an issue but you still need a thermostat. Back in the 20's and 30's when the radiators were oversize you could get away with not running a thermostat.
A functioning thermostat will not make your Bird run hot.

Removing the thermostat - on ANY street-driven (not track-only) car - is a hack attempt to solve cooling problems by those who do not understand its function (or cooling systems in general). A defective thermostat, i.e. one that is stuck closed, will cause overheating as it will restrict coolant flow. But a properly functioning thermostat should never be removed.

Thank you so much everyone. I will keep the thermostat & check the rest of the cooling system.

Thank you so much everyone. I will keep the thermostat & check the rest of the cooling system.
As many have indicated, a thermostat is necessary - it will remain closed initially in order to allow an engine to warm up quickly and then will open/close as necessary to maintain a good operating temperature of anywhere from c.165 to 195/200 degrees depending on which opening temp you chose (internal combustion engines actually perform better when hot rather than cold but within limits, of course). Notwithstanding the forgoing, you must be sure that your thermostat is functioning (i. e. opening and closing) correctly. Even a brand new thermostat can be defective so, the best way to confirm is to place the thermostat and a cooking thermometer (ask your wife) in a pot of water and begin to heat the water. You will be able to confirm the temperature at which the thermostat opens (or not) and can then move to other areas of the cooling system to check for overheating causes (loose fan belt, bad water pump, clogged radiator, clogged passages inside the engine block, incorrect timing or fuel mixture, etc. While you are at it, check the rad by closely visually inspecting it - particularly the area along the bottom. Gently run your fingers over the fins and if the fins move/bend easily then it is likely rotted. You can also see if the fins are green in which case there are leaks and oxidation/corrosion happening.

I didn't see it mentioned so I will. ...
The thermostat is a one-way-only part. The coil spring side faces the Engine,. not the radiator.
If installed backwards the engine will overheat every time.

Attachments

• hot - open thermostat.jpg
    hot - open thermostat.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • thermostat.jpg
    thermostat.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The thermostats job is to meter the amount of coolant circulating through the radiator to allow it the proper cooling time.. also, it’ll take FOREVER for your heat to work if you even use it lol.. one thing you can do is take the cap off while it’s cool and start it up.. and just watch what to coolant does as it’s coming up to temp.. like others said.. could be a clogged cooking system.. you can also try flushing it

Back