1962 convertible top fuse location. | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1962 convertible top fuse location.

• Thread starter Thread starter aa010175
  • Start date Start date
aa010175

aa010175

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Top stop working just 12” prior to trunk lid closed. I have the replacement micro switch conversion installed and top totally restored by previous owner. Where is the top fuse located? Is it in line or fuse box? Thanks Dave

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Top works with relays- it sounds like a switch adjustment or another of the many problems affecting the Tbird Convertible top. Look on this website for answers on the Top.

Top stop working just 12” prior to trunk lid closed. I have the replacement micro switch conversion installed and top totally restored by previous owner. Where is the top fuse located? Is it in line or fuse box? Thanks Dave
Hi Dave,

I saw your post on the 'other' Tbird forum, and I sense your frustration, so I thought I'd reply.
I take it that everything was working great until this happened. I've only been working on these cars (and the convertible tops) for a couple of years, but it sure sounds like its simply lost power.

Just to confirm, do you hear any clicking when engaging the top control switch? Or dead silence? Clicking would indicate a relay problem...if it's dead silent we can proceed.
My first instinct would be the same as yours - confirm that the power supply hasn't been interrupted. The 50-amp breaker you are looking for should be mounted on the underside of the upper radiator support, or on the passenger side inner fender, next to the battery. If you have power leaving that breaker...now the fun begins. Next to check is to make sure that the Neutral Safety Switch is properly engaged, as the top will only operate when the shifter is in Park or Neutral. (PS Don't do this with the car running!!) To test, jiggle the shifter handle in P or N while engaging the top control switch and see if the top starts to move. If it starts to operate, then the NSS is either out of adjustment or defective. If this is the case, consult the FSM for instructions on adjustment or replacement.

Next test is for the top control switch itself; it may have catastrophically failed or its power connection has become compromised. You'll need to remove the door panel to check it.

Next thing I would check is the deck lid limit switches, and that is all covered in the appropriate Factory Service manuals, but does require a lot of time and patience.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks for the reply. After checking the power went through the top switch, I pushed the reset buttons on the new electronic micro switch’s. The top started to work again. I will be at Crusing Grand tomorrow. Dave

Back