1960 A/C refill port | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1960 A/C refill port

• Thread starter Thread starter ricoman
  • Start date Start date
R
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have the r12 to refill a/c but cannot find the connection to the fill port. It is not the modern clip on it is a screw on 7/16 x 20 hose needed for connection. Cannot find anything to rig up so I can fill. Any ideas or does someone have an old school fill hose?..

3BB3E6B3-558F-450D-822E-E6565AD11270.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have the r12 to refill a/c but cannot find the connection to the fill port. It is not the modern clip on it is a screw on 7/16 x 20 hose needed for connection. Cannot find anything to rig up so I can fill. Any ideas or does someone have an old school fill hose?..

That’s 1/4” male flare if you have gauges the hose should screw on to it. Then unscrew the black cap and turn the stem a quarter turn that opens the system to your gauges

That’s 1/4” male flare if you have gauges the hose should screw on to it. Then unscrew the black cap and turn the stem a quarter turn that opens the system to your gauges
Some auto supply stores will loan gauges. Make sure when you open the stem you bleed a small amount of Freon out to purge the air.

The stem under the black cap should be turned a quarter turn to open the system to your gauges.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The stem under the black cap should be turned a quarter turn to open the system to your gauges.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
To close the port turn the stem ccw while looking at the end of stem. If your system is flat you will want to add either nitrogen to try and find the leak using soap bubbles at all fittings or add some R-12 and then use a electronic leak detector. Don't use air to pressurize the system. After repairing the leak you should replace the receiver/dryer and use a vacuum pump to remove all noncondensibles before recharging. The low side port is the one that goes to the firewall and the highside port goes to the condenser next to the radiator.

My system is completely empty, the ports under the black caps, should they be open or closed???
Are you sure the system is completely empty? If the stem type service valve is in the front seated or back seated position, the service port is closed and there will be no pressure readings on the gauge. The service valve must be set to the mid-position before you can get any pressure readings on the gauge.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Stem Type Service Valve.jpg

Are you sure the system is completely empty? If the stem type service valve is in the front seated or back seated position, the service port is closed and there will be no pressure readings on the gauge. The service valve must be set to the mid-position before you can get any pressure readings on the gauge.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 21659
To check that I understand, I need to screw in the valves to allow system to fill and then out once filled to allow free flow of Freon. And yes I am sue the system is completely empty, so am I reading your response correctly?

To check that I understand, I need to screw in the valves to allow system to fill and then out once filled to allow free flow of Freon. And yes I am sue the system is completely empty, so am I reading your response correctly?

Yes, screw in PARTIALLY. As the diagram of the valve shows, if you screw it in all the way you close off the other side of the valve. In that position on these old systems it allowed you to close both the high and low side off to the entire "plumbing" of the car and then you could remove the compressor by unbolting it from the valves and put a new compressor on without having to empty the freon out of the "plumbing". This multi-position multi-function aspect of these valves can make it confusing. Normal operation requires the valve to be completely "unscrewed" so it seats so as to close off the charging port. Service position with a gauge set installed is with the valve in "neutral", i.e. screwed in halfway. "remove compressor while system is still charged" is screwed in all the way.

Back