1957 Rear height measurement at center of taillight | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Rear height measurement at center of taillight

• Thread starter Thread starter Zootr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I read somewhere that the correct measurement from the ground to the center of the taillight lamp should be 27.5", but can't find this in any Ford publications or manuals. My 57 Bird measures at 24". Where can this info be located? What adjustments will correct this issue?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I found this but don't remember where..."For 1957 Thunderbirds the front measurement is 29", measured from the center of the headlamp to the ground. The rear measurement is 27.5", measured from the center of the tail lamp to the ground." Mine is currently at 26", but it has booster springs clamped to the shocks to help support it. I plan to replace the rear leaf (& front coil) springs to get it back to stock ride height. I hope that helps.

The numbers you reference are for judging manual shows. They are not what Ford specifications called for and I have never seen an explanation for the difference or the source of the numbers. The repair manual only shows spring height for the front springs and spring length for the rear springs. I've seen many posts from people who thought their height was too low and so bought new springs only to have the same ride height with the new springs. Several others have posted that the only way they were able to get the correct ride height with their new springs was to take them back out and add a left. I think some of the suppliers sell two versions of replacement rear springs, one has an extra leaf.

I just found this...

According to the Specifications manual, the 57 ride height is as follows.
First check tires for proper inflation. Second, put two people in the car , combined weight about 300 lbs.

Front is measured from the ground to the middle of the headlight - 28.07 inches
Rear is measured from the ground to the middle of the taillights - 23.30 inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Tom, the Concourse judging cites heights.
TOM - what specifications manual are you referencing?

Agree with Tom, the Concourse judging cites heights.
TOM - what specifications manual are you referencing?
I wish I knew. I've found replies from others with those detailed numbers and they only refer to the "ford spec" manual and similar. I have never been able to find a photo or copy of the actual manual to verify. Since they show the number to two decimal places I suspect it does come from a real manual. Cars I've seen that were at the actual height called for by Thunderbird concourse judges looked like they were jacked up beyond normal and as I mentioned earlier, in the same way I can find no definitive source for the "ford spec" I can find no definitive source for the spec, just vague, "it was found the ford spec was wrong and this is really the right one" type answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back