2004 Right Rear Turn Signal Woes

WesTxStoner425

WesTxStoner425

2004 Platinum over Sand interior
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last night when using my right turn signal, the dash indicator started flashing very fast. I know that normally this is a signal that either the front or rear turn signal bulb has gone out. The dash also indicated Lamp Out. I pulled the rear taillight (the front turn was working) and examined the bulb, which looked like it had a complete filament; I figured that perhaps there was a minuscule gap in the filament I couldn't see, so I picked up a 2-pack of Sylvania LongLife 3156K bulbs. After installation, the bulb did not light, the dash still said Lamp Out, and dash indicators continued their frenzied flashing. Any thoughts? I'm dreading a FEM issue. Also, what a pain in the @$$ to get that rear taillight unit out just to get at the bulb. The long bolt which holds the nut on the outer housing is nearly impossible to reach, and you really need an extra-extended 11mm socket to get at it; my normal length extended 11mm was too short. I was fortunate to have an 11mm Gearwrech that I could maneuver onto the nut, but at times, I was only able to loosen it one tooth at a time. What should be a 5-minute job took 3 times as long. Wouldn't it be nice to gather the Retro Bird project engineers and ask them why they did certain things, and them make them attempt the repairs or removals that vex Bird owners so much? Back to the subject, though; any suggestions would be much appreciated. I should mention that I am not experiencing any of the other FEM related issues, but those might be heading my way:eek:...Thanks much.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You might have corrosion in the bulb socket a good spray out with DeOxIt spray (from Amazon) will address that...
Otherwise you may indeed have deeper issues.

Normal Operation:

Power is supplied from the central junction box (CJB) to the RH front turn signal lamp. The ground for the RH front turn signal lamp is through the FEM. The FEM and rear electronic module (REM) individually control the ground circuits for the turn signal lamps. The timed on/off cycle is determined in the instrument cluster programming and is set to flash approximately 80 times per minute if both the front and rear turn signal lamps are good. If any turn signal lamp is not good, the instrument cluster will flash the remaining working turn signal lamp(s) approximately 160 times per minute.

If you replaced the bulb and it still does not function properly, I would check fuse #7 in the Battery Junction Box in the luggage compartment before going any further.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Wiring Diagram.jpg

Why don't you replace the front bulb and then see if you still have the problem

As far as the problem getting the rear lense out I found that if you push in on the lens it is easier to get the nut off that ridiculous long shaft. An easy way get the light out in future is to replace the factory nut with a compatible “wing nut”. I shortened the long shaft too by using a dremel tool.

For my rear taillights, I went to the local hardware store and purchased SS Metric Wing Nuts for the long stud on the taillight housing - makes it much easier to R&R the rear taillights.

Last night when using my right turn signal, the dash indicator started flashing very fast. I know that normally this is a signal that either the front or rear turn signal bulb has gone out. The dash also indicated Lamp Out. I pulled the rear taillight (the front turn was working) and examined the bulb, which looked like it had a complete filament; I figured that perhaps there was a minuscule gap in the filament I couldn't see, so I picked up a 2-pack of Sylvania LongLife 3156K bulbs. After installation, the bulb did not light, the dash still said Lamp Out, and dash indicators continued their frenzied flashing. Any thoughts? I'm dreading a FEM issue. Also, what a pain in the @$$ to get that rear taillight unit out just to get at the bulb. The long bolt which holds the nut on the outer housing is nearly impossible to reach, and you really need an extra-extended 11mm socket to get at it; my normal length extended 11mm was too short. I was fortunate to have an 11mm Gearwrech that I could maneuver onto the nut, but at times, I was only able to loosen it one tooth at a time. What should be a 5-minute job took 3 times as long. Wouldn't it be nice to gather the Retro Bird project engineers and ask them why they did certain things, and them make them attempt the repairs or removals that vex Bird owners so much? Back to the subject, though; any suggestions would be much appreciated. I should mention that I am not experiencing any of the other FEM related issues, but those might be heading my way:eek:...Thanks much.
I had the same issues and had the tail light socket assembly replaced. No more issues.

I checked #7 fuse, even swapped it with the same size fuse from #6, had no effect. The gray plastic around the socket does look a little heat discolored (turning yellowish?). I cleaned the plug with CRC Contact Cleaner and applied a dab of CRC Dielectric Grease. Still no joy. I left everything exposed and loose so my mechanic doesn't need to waste time dismantling. I'm tempted to have him change the socket first, since it will eliminate that from the equation, and the socket does look old. He's supposed to be the shop's wiring whiz, so he should be able to track this down. Where are the most-likely ground connections I should have him check? It's super hot here, or I'd be game to do this. I don't have a garage to work out of, unfortunately. Luckily, the other turn signals are functioning perfectly, and the front passenger turn signal flashes at normal speed. I get paranoid about being stopped because I have never mounted a front license plate (required in Texas); I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the bumper...

Power to the right rear lamp assembly is supplied by fuse #7 and the ground is supplied by the Rear Electronic Module.

Untitled.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

@doug7740 That diagram helps a lot. I will look for the ground connection later today. I couldn't get an appt until Thursday, so I've got some wiggle room to track down a bad ground (I hope!). I've owned this Bird since March of 2019, and have taken if from about 45K to its present 69K, and it hasn't let me down (except for a recent busted upper heater hose), but I'm leery about taking it out of town because of all the FEM problems that are out there. It's like my Spidey sense is whispering "Soon, soon..."

@doug7740 That diagram helps a lot. I will look for the ground connection later today.
There are no ground connections to look for. The ground for the rear tail light assemblies are supplied by the Rear Electronic Module, they are internal to the REM. The only thing you can do is to check for continuity between terminal 2 of the rear tail light assembly (black/orange wire) and terminal 5 of the REM and terminal 3 of the rear tail light assembly (black/green wire) and terminal 1 of the REM.

doug7740
1955Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Back