1957 Rear swaybar factory ride height

F

farmerdick

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1957 Bird.Two questions: What is the factory ride height? My search has those figuries all over the board. I have radial tires which could make the numbers change a little. My measurements are (headlight to ground 29.0 and center of tail light to ground26.5)!!
Second question: I have a new rear swaybar that i want to install but i have read that it has a tendence to move side to side, hits on rear axel tube and can make all sorts of noises and rattles because of clearance iassues? What are your thoughts and experience?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I installed a sway bar on my ‘55 and it doesn’t hit the axle. It did hit the exhaust pipes but a simple rotation took care of that. It helped stop the tire rubbing against the skirts and stiffened up the rear suspension (my leaf springs are stock).

1957 Bird.Two questions: What is the factory ride height? My search has those figuries all over the board. I have radial tires which could make the numbers change a little. My measurements are (headlight to ground 29.0 and center of tail light to ground26.5)!!
Second question: I have a new rear swaybar that i want to install but i have read that it has a tendence to move side to side, hits on rear axel tube and can make all sorts of noises and rattles because of clearance iassues? What are your thoughts and experience?
For 1957 Thunderbirds the front measurement is 29", measured from the center of the headlamp to the ground. The rear measurement is 27.5", measured from the center of the tail lamp to the ground.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I installed a sway bar on my ‘55 and it doesn’t hit the axle. It did hit the exhaust pipes but a simple rotation took care of that. It helped stop the tire rubbing against the skirts and stiffened up the rear suspension (my leaf springs are stock).
How long did it take to do the install?

With a lift about an hour. You will need a drive-on style lift because you need the suspension in its normal position. The bar clamps onto the axle tubes with U-bolts. You have to drill two holes (one on each side frame rail) for the end arms. On the ‘55 the exhaust goes through the rear bumper so I had to rotate (a little) the pipes that go over the axle.Since the ‘57 is similar just check the clearance.

Back