1956 brake fluid DOT 3 or DOT 5 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 brake fluid DOT 3 or DOT 5

• Thread starter Thread starter woodeye
  • Start date Start date
woodeye

woodeye

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I replaced the brake lines and wheel cylinders on the rear brakes. somebody previously has put in disk brakes. I'm wondering what brake fluid I should use. I want to bleed and refill the entire system

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I replaced the brake lines and wheel cylinders on the rear brakes. somebody previously has put in disk brakes. I'm wondering what brake fluid I should use. I want to bleed and refill the entire system
Has the brake system been totally evacuated? If so I would recommend using DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. I've used Dot 5 in antique for over 30 years. It does not draw moisture or ruin paint like DOT 3. But you can't mix DOT 5 with DOT 3 I still own a 68 Mustang F/B that I converted in 1989. Never any trouble

If you sill have brake fluid in the master cylinder take out a small sample . If its purple, it's Dot 5. If not purple, it's probably
Dot 3.

I was thinking I should totally evacuate the system. Is there a specific procedure to to doing this? Just open it up and let gravity do the rest? Or use a vacuum pump? Once empty does it need to be flushed?

I was thinking I should totally evacuate the system. Is there a specific procedure to to doing this? Just open it up and let gravity do the rest? Or use a vacuum pump? Once empty does it need to be flushed?
I think I read recently on this issue that alcohol is an effective flush when changing fluids. Time for an information search. As in the X files, the answer is out there...

I think I read recently on this issue that alcohol is an effective flush when changing fluids. Time for an information search. As in the X files, the answer is out there...
Alcohol is what I used to clean the system. And yes it should be flushed clean.

Alcohol may have an adverse affect on rubber parts, maybe.
That being said
I have found that brake wash does a very good job of removing oil based products without breaking them down chemically.

Back