1969 Ford Thunderbird rear disc brake conversion kit-
Eby Purchase Link
1966-Rear-Disc-Brakes.jpg

Attachments

• 1965-Rear-Disc-Brakes.jpg
    1965-Rear-Disc-Brakes.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello does anyone know what i do with this tube is for my disc brake conversion kit i got it from Summit Racing i am not so sure where to put them so some help would be great, thank you so much!
Garret S
brake..JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,
New to forum and looking for a 1st gen to purchase. Have found a 56 I'm interested, but has no power brakes. Can I add a booster?

I did all four with disks. Not enough room for the booster so I went without it and the brakes don't need it. It was probably a necessary item for internal expanding drum brakes but with the disks you won't know the difference.

Hello does anyone know what i do with this tube is for my disc brake conversion kit i got it from Summit Racing i am not so sure where to put them so some help would be great, thank you so much!
Garret S
View attachment 19880
Those "tubes" are difficult to see but they appear to be the flex lines that go from the hard metal tube terminal to the caliper. Make sure you are being surgically clean with them. Your life and others, depends upon it. Screw the smaller, male threaded end into the fixed metal terminal fitting and the "fat" end appears to be like a fat donut. This part should have a bolt sized hole and a smaller hole where the brake fluid runs. That part gets fastened to the caliper. There should be instructions and Summit should be able to inform you further.

Any advise on upgrade to front disc on 57 Bird? I want to retain the 14” steel wheels.

When I installed front disc brakes I decided to retain my original 14" wheels. I used 5/15" thick spacers for caliper clearance. If I had used later model Ford14" wheels from mid sixties and forward I would not have needed the spacers. the later wheels are made to accept disc brakes and as such the wheel center has a different profile the the earlier wheels although the 41/2" bold circle is the same.

Despite my insistence for a purist restorations, my 1957 is really for my wife to enjoy. As original as it is, the power brakes SUCK and the radio won’t talk back to you. And I hate to say it, but her car skills are limited to a Chevrolet Suburban. darn thing doesn’t even have a key.

I had a reasonable discussion with CASCO and their front disk brake kit and proportioning valve is in my garage for a month already. Not an inexpensive combination but It has been suggested I will not have fitment problems. Unfortunately, the weather is 25degrees most of the week and 60 on the one day I’m tied up elsewhere. I am anxious to get into it and confirm or dispel the pages and pages of questions I have read here on the forum. This is probably the one thing I have tried to study the most and have read about several successes. Just need to find the time and the warmer weather…don’t hold your breath… maybe April BUT I will let anyone know what happens

When I installed front disc brakes I decided to retain my original 14" wheels. I used 5/15" thick spacers for caliper clearance. If I had used later model Ford14" wheels from mid sixties and forward I would not have needed the spacers. the later wheels are made to accept disc brakes and as such the wheel center has a different profile the the earlier wheels although the 41/2" bold circle is the same.
5/15 " spacers? Are they advertised as such? 5/15" is 1/3."

Thank you. That sounds like the easier way to go. What brand brake did you use?

I purchased the Master Power Brakes DB1532M front disc brakes conversion. My mechanic says they won't fit on original 14" wheels, and MPB confirmed odds were "slim to none". I'd rather not purchase 15" rims, new tires and hubs. I've heard that some vintage 14" will work, but don't know which ones. Anyone know any 14" that will work? Many Thanks!

5/15 " spacers? Are they advertised as such? 5/15" is 1/3."
I put on the EBay disc brake conversion. It was pretty much a direct bolt on. I had to Grind the caliper mounts about 1/2 “ on the corners and my stock rims bolted on but wouldn’t turn. I had to add spacers. But they work great with no booster.
EDB1AFC8-2774-448B-9626-C3E6BA99825A.jpeg

I went through old forum posts and could not find any conversation about converting from hydraulic brakes to disc brakes. So i hope I'm not asking anything previously posted. I am considering making a change to disc brakes but had a few questions. The reason I'm considering it is because i just replaced my master cylinder, all the wheel cylinders and of course adjusted and bled the brakes. But after all that my pedal still goes to within an inch of the floorboard. It stops the car okay, but not great. I'm trying to determine if this is normal for hydraulic brakes and i just don't remember that or not. So my question is how involved and expensive is it to convert to disc brakes? Can i do it with 14" wheels? Anything else I need to know or consider making the conversion? Should i even make the conversion? Your advice or recommendations is much appreciated. Thank you

I'm want to convert my TBird from drum brakes to disc brakes. After completely overhauling the drum brakes, master cylinder and of course all necessary adjustments I'm still not satisfied with the braking power. The pedal still moves only an inch from the floorboard and if i really need to apply pressure it feels like I'm bottoming out on the floorboard. The drum brakes slow you down but the quick stopping power is just not there. I have a 1936 Ford with mechanical brakes and frankly I feel very little difference. So i want to convert to disc brakes and when i shop for the kits its very confusing since i've never done this before. I wonder if anyone has any experience in converting your classic to disc brakes? I found a kit on Summit Racing that i think will work for my 1959, but wanted to ask you all if i have the right one or what the right one might be.

Attachments

• DiscBrakeKit.jpg
    DiscBrakeKit.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 5
Anyone have a recommendation for a 57 Bird front disc brake conversion kit? It will have a 390 FE and 14" wheels. Thanks!

i just got a new to me 1964 thunderbird and it was halfway completed with the front disc brake conversion. i'm missing some parts and i'm kind of stuck on the master cylinder trying to find out what spacer they used for the inside. it's a ebay kit that the previous person bought. the picture below is what i'm trying to find.IMG_2693.jpeg

Hello Guys, I’m in the process of restoring and updating my front suspension…bushings, joints, Aerostar springs, and disc brake conversion. It is a manual brake car and I have no interest in adding a booster.

I have been looking at the Wilwood Dynalite 4 piston caliper kit for Tbird but it does not include the master cylinder. I would need to purchase a separate master cylinder to match the 4:1 stock pedal ratio as well as a proportioning valve to meter the rear drum pressure. It appears I may have to do some custom plumbing from the flex lines to the Proportioning valve and master cylinder. I am also wondering if I have to increase the front brake line size for Discs?

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Wilwood setup?

Bought and installed this disc brake conversion kit DBC5557T-14. All went well but rotor is not centered between pads with pistons fully retracted and on one side is tight against the rotor. Can’t be shimmed as this would pull the tight pad even tighter to the rotor. See pics. Any ideas?
IMG_2512.jpegIMG_2511.jpeg

Bought and installed this disc brake conversion kit DBC5557T-14. All went well but rotor is not centered between pads with pistons fully retracted and on one side is tight against the rotor. Can’t be shimmed as this would pull the tight pad even tighter to the rotor. See pics. Any ideas?
Contact the seller of the part.

Back