1956 DOT 5 brake fluid change interval

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1956 brake fluid question:
Does anyone have a idea how long DOT 5 fluid will last before needing to be replaced? I changed over about 2 years ago and the fluid looks brand new.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Does anyone have a idea how long DOT 5 fluid will last before needing to be replaced? I changed over about 2 years ago and the fluid looks brand new.
From what I understand, it's synthetic, doesn't absorb water like DOT3 should last indefinitely. I'm sticking with DOT3 for several reasons.

Hope you didn’t use synthetic fluid with old cylinder rubber parts!? I’m sticking with DOT3 and a flush every couple of years.

I have used dot 5 since 1989 in all my cars. Mustangs GTO's Oldsmobile's and now a 57 T- bird. I still have a '68 Mustang F/B, had the car since 1989. NEVER changed the fluid, NEVER had a problem with any brake system. Fluid is a neutral, draw's NO moisture and if it drops on paint just wipe it off..

@ron56 - your subject "1956 brake fluid question" has been updated. On future posts, your subject should have your 4-digit model year and a summary of what your post is about. I have revised yours,.

Back