02 Steering Wheel Controls not working

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have lost ALL electronic controls on the steering wheel of my 02 Bird.. Cruise Control/Radio Functions etc (even the back lighting is gone). Are these all powered by the Clock Spring? Any help appreciated!

Does sound like clock spring - not that horrible of a repair.

If your other "backlit" functions are working - e.g. door window/lock controls and track light under dash - then that associated failure is not the FEM - most likely also clock spring related...

Does sound like clock spring - not that horrible of a repair.

If your other "backlit" functions are working - e.g. door window/lock controls and track light under dash - then that associated failure is not the FEM - most likely also clock spring related...
Frankie, I had both issues. Replaced the FEM first then the clock spring. Hopefully I will never have to do this again.

I got mine from the Ford dealer. Have you checked with them. It was less than 125.00 for the part two years ago

Bird Comrades,
I was able to purchase a replacement clock spring for my ‘03 from TASCA Ford Lincoln through FCSD N’tl parts. This forum was instrumental in helping to isolate the part # 3W6Z-14A664-AA. I expected to receive two components: 1) the round plastic spring with two connector cables shown in the Ford parts manual, and 2) the rectangular “brick” that the cables plug into and mounts under dash behind steering wheel. The part I received had the correct number on the shipping box, but the sticker on the part is labeled 3W6T-14A664-AF. It came with one cable, and no “brick.” I am unsure of whether I received the correct part, and whether the brick is an integral component of the clock spring part that fixes steering wheel button control issues (i.e. did I receive everything I need?). Can anyone out there offer any guidance? Many thanks.

This is I received...
56006C57-A950-4EA7-9459-5D0155FEFE7F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Biddle. That is the thread I accessed initially to identify the correct (hopefully) part number. However, the link in the thread takes you to ebay where there are no clock springs with my ‘03 part number available. There is also no clear description of the entire clock spring assembly. Maybe I am missing something...

Back