Word to the Wise - When buying a 02-05 Thunderbird, seriously consider buying new tires upfront.

Hemi Bob

Hemi Bob

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I purchased my 2005 Thunderbird this past January with 73k miles on it. The tires were Michelin with at least half the tread depth left. I checked the tires' date stamps (which unfortunately were all mounted on the inside) and determined the tires were 9 years old. As a result, I figured I'd replace them this summer. Well, after putting 1,400 miles on over six weeks, the front tire completely shredded on me while on the FL turnpike. Luckily, the tire remained inflated and no damage was done. Now the second step everyone should do is check the pressure in the spare after purchasing. I knew I should, but just didn't get around to it. When I did, naturally it was zero. Luckily, I was able to limp 2.5 miles to the nearest service station, pump up the spare, and change the wheel. I've ordered a new set of Pirelli PZeros, but the car will be sitting around for a week while I'm waiting for delivery.
IMG_20190416_153101580_HDR.jpgIMG_20190416_153109417_HDR.jpgIMG_20190416_163247902_HDR.jpgIMG_20190416_163257141.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
and determined the tires were 9 years old. As a result, I figured I'd replace them this summer. Now the second step everyone should do is check the pressure in the spare after purchasing. IView attachment 3605 View attachment 3606 View attachment 3607 View attachment 3608

The spare tire issue is well known, most people don't even check and find the tire has exploded, it likely needs replaced as well. You should have taken the car to get the tires inspected immediately after you bought the car since it's more than a decade old. The tires are arguably the most important part of any vehicle. Many people don't walk away from accidents related to catastrophic tire failure.

I purchased my 2005 Thunderbird this past January with 73k miles on it. The tires were Michelin with at least half the tread depth left. I checked the tires' date stamps (which unfortunately were all mounted on the inside) and determined the tires were 9 years old. As a result, I figured I'd replace them this summer. Well, after putting 1,400 miles on over six weeks, the front tire completely shredded on me while on the FL turnpike. Luckily, the tire remained inflated and no damage was done. Now the second step everyone should do is check the pressure in the spare after purchasing. I knew I should, but just didn't get around to it. When I did, naturally it was zero. Luckily, I was able to limp 2.5 miles to the nearest service station, pump up the spare, and change the wheel. I've ordered a new set of Pirelli PZeros, but the car will be sitting around for a week while I'm waiting for delivery.View attachment 3605 View attachment 3606 View attachment 3607 View attachment 3608
Your spare is probably also due for replacement. Check the date and order one if it's the original or over 10 years old. It is available directly from Maxxis. They aren't always in stock, but are at the moment.

Your spare is probably also due for replacement. Check the date and order one if it's the original or over 10 years old. It is available directly from Maxxis. They aren't always in stock, but are at the moment.
Couldn't find them on their website. Any suggestions.

The spare tire issue is well known, most people don't even check and find the tire has exploded, it likely needs replaced as well. You should have taken the car to get the tires inspected immediately after you bought the car since it's more than a decade old. The tires are arguably the most important part of any vehicle. Many people don't walk away from accidents related to catastrophic tire failure.
I did take it to the local Tires Plus (a Firestone affiliate) to get it all checked out. They changed the oil and replaced the thermostat housing and gave me the all clear on everything else.

I purchased my 2005 Thunderbird this past January with 73k miles on it. The tires were Michelin with at least half the tread depth left. I checked the tires' date stamps (which unfortunately were all mounted on the inside) and determined the tires were 9 years old. As a result, I figured I'd replace them this summer. Well, after putting 1,400 miles on over six weeks, the front tire completely shredded on me while on the FL turnpike. Luckily, the tire remained inflated and no damage was done. Now the second step everyone should do is check the pressure in the spare after purchasing. I knew I should, but just didn't get around to it. When I did, naturally it was zero. Luckily, I was able to limp 2.5 miles to the nearest service station, pump up the spare, and change the wheel. I've ordered a new set of Pirelli PZeros, but the car will be sitting around for a week while I'm waiting for delivery.View attachment 3605 View attachment 3606 View attachment 3607 View attachment 3608
Very important cautionary warning to ALL older car owners. From my research 8 or 9 years should ne the max life of the tires. You mention the front tires. Are the bsvk ones newer?

My 2005 has the original Michelins with 39,000 miles. I am convinced now to leave it in the garage until I get new tires. Top 3 or 4 tires you recommend?

I replaced the original tires on my '02 9 years ago when they were 9 years old at about 24K miles. They looked OK, but I had a number of higher speed road trips ahead of me and just wanted to err on the side of caution. I replaced them with Michelins matching the OEM tires. Someone bought the old tires from me to use on a low mileage, limited use retro. This past week the car was at my tire shop for a tire rotation. I asked the manager to check out the tires thinking that at 9 years old I might need to consider replacing them. He told me they look great. They only have about 20K miles on them at this point. There was no evidence of unusual or excessive wear, etc. I do keep them properly inflated a regularly rotate them. I was happy not to need to replace them at this point. I replaced the spare a few years ago but do monitor it regularly.

I replaced the original tires on my '02 9 years ago when they were 9 years old at about 24K miles. They looked OK, but I had a number of higher speed road trips ahead of me and just wanted to err on the side of caution. I replaced them with Michelins matching the OEM tires. Someone bought the old tires from me to use on a low mileage, limited use retro. This past week the car was at my tire shop for a tire rotation. I asked the manager to check out the tires thinking that at 9 years old I might need to consider replacing them. He told me they look great. They only have about 20K miles on them at this point. There was no evidence of unusual or excessive wear, etc. I do keep them properly inflated a regularly rotate them. I was happy not to need to replace them at this point. I replaced the spare a few years ago but do monitor it regularly.

2005 50th anniversary. I took your advice and went right to the tire shop when my car was delivered! I took 4 dry rot tires off put 4 Goodyear eagles on. Any way I see you also bought a 2005 model. Check out a ESP Ford Warranty online. You have one more month to get it. I just bought one!

2005 50th anniversary. I took your advice and went right to the tire shop when my car was delivered! I took 4 dry rot tires off put 4 Goodyear eagles on. Any way I see you also bought a 2005 model. Check out a ESP Ford Warranty online. You have one more month to get it. I just bought one!
What warranty did you purchase? I assumed car was just too old.

2005 50th anniversary. I just purchased the car in Florida, I brought it to NY to use it for the summer and to get the bugs out of it, then it’s back to Florida. Anyway I purchased a Ford extended warranty from Lombard Ford in Connecticut. I opted for premium care 5 years with a 200 deductible. You can structure the plan anyway you want. You can find this site by searching lombardfordwarrantys.com. I think the rate is different depending on where you live. There is a promotion code for Florida FL4892 but that rate is higher than what I paid because I used a NY address. You purchase the warranty online. I’m waiting for an inspector to come and do a third party inspection before it’s final. I’m told that you have until the end of June, 2019 to get this plan.
Good luck!

THE SPARE if original has been reporyed as a possible explosion hazzard due to age, high trunk temperature s and 100 psi inflation. I think replacements are made by Maxxis Tires.

I deal exclusively with a local store of Discount Tires. They refuse to repair or otherwise deal with tires older than 6 years. The Maxxis spare on my 2004 was original to car; 4 tires on it were more than 6 years old. Thanks to Discount Tire and advice on this Forum, I replaced all 5 tires soon after purchasing Tbird.

Very important cautionary warning to ALL older car owners. From my research 8 or 9 years should ne the max life of the tires. You mention the front tires. Are the bsvk ones newer?
Actually tire manufacturers & shops say any tire older than 6 years is trouble or will become that very soon. And as our Forum's able admin points out, few people walk away from a catastrophic tire failure incident that occurs at highway speeds.

My beautiful black and chrome 2002 model still had the original Michelins with only 23,000 miles. The original owner had only driven the car 3000 miles in the last 6 years, so the tread was still good, but closer inspection revealed small dry rot cracks between the ribs of the tread. The car had always been stored inside, and only driven in pleasant weather. -I replaced them immediately with a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S.

As an FYI, what Hemi Bob experienced was a tread separation from the carcass of the tire. This happens a lot to overloaded, underinflated semi-truck tires in hot weather, and results in the infamous "Gator" lying in the middle of the road (not a real alligator (and not restricted to Florida), but a semi truck tire tread). -You want to AVOID hitting one of these, or driving over it, at all costs. I drove over one of these at night in Arizona and it ripped out the crossover lines in my Kenworth, and damaged both fuel tanks underneath the truck resulting in the loss of 200 gallons of diesel fuel, a $900 tow truck charge, as well as the repair costs. These "Gators" lying in the road are extremely tough, and can result in a major accident, throwing your car into the ditch, or doing severe damage to the undercarriage of your vehicle. Avoid running over them if at all possible.

Attachments

• Kenworth.JPG
    Kenworth.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 0
Back